What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
We can’t make good product decisions without deep insight into the lives and experiences of our users. We’re looking for the founding member of our user research team – someone with experience, confidence and leadership skills as well as a passion for getting out in the field and doing the legwork to gather the knowledge needed to guide our product development efforts. While your initial focus will be on our Marketplace offering, you will have the opportunity to work across product lines to deliver valuable user insights and define research best practices. You will ultimately help build out a best-in-class user research team, drawing on your experience to establish a lean, modern user research capability at Indigo.
- Build and inject deep understanding of our Marketplace offering and the opportunities to improve the value it offers our customers:
- Identify gaps in knowledge and conduct qualitative and quantitative research to inform Marketplace product roadmap decision-making
- Establish Marketplace user types and provide teams with useful guidance on biggest opportunities to better serve each type.
- Establish strong relationships with internal customers and external users
- Leverage Indigo team and databases to build connections with users across all defined segments
- Meet regularly with representatives from all internal stakeholder groups
- Establish cadence to meet with users (understanding cadence of growing seasons, farmer schedules, modes of communication, etc.)
- Support user research needs across all product lines
- Establish a user advisory board that can be regularly utilized for feedback on concepts and implemented solutions
- Document a process for Product and Design to propose questions to be researched with customers
- Create an initial process to test prototypes and support ad hoc research requests across products
- Create task-based testing scenarios for users to execute
- Establish guidelines, tools and systems for user research processes and best practices
- Bring knowledge of research best practices to help Indigo designers and deliver quality insights and efficiently gather useful, accurate feedback.
- Establish a modern, best-in-class user research framework supported by necessary tools and systems
- Build a research knowledge-base to ensure teams share and leverage prior insights
- Develop a strong understanding of research prioritization and establish a process to address ad hoc requests
- Create a plan to expand the User Research team
- Define a Research team organization plan and identify staffing needs
- Collaborate with Recruiting team to drive hiring according to staffing plan
- Driven by empathy; strong passion for understanding customers and bringing value to them through our products
- Ability to listen for pain points and needs without immediately solutioning
- Understands how to build trust and get facetime with busy users who haven’t previously experienced research
- Systems thinker who can build out research frameworks and assemble tools to enable efficient frequent cycles of user feedback
- Passionate advocate: able to effectively gain buy-in from stakeholders throughout the organization in understanding how users perceive their business and in creating best experiences for users
- Superior communication skills: written, verbal, and listening
- Strong ability to define and implement process in an area that does not currently exist in the business
- Self-starter; independent, proactive problem-solver
- Thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment; able to multi-task and prioritize demands
- Desire to hire, mentor, and grow a user research function and team
- Understands and embodies Indigo’s mission and core values
- 6-8+ years user research experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing a small team
- Proven success defining user research best practices in a quickly scaling environment
- Experience pairing qualitative and quantitative research data and delivering it in a digestible format to business stakeholders
- Experience working cross-functionally with stakeholders at various business levels
- Willing to travel regularly to meet users (up to 50%)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.