Marketplace Engineering Co-op
Please Submit applications by 6am on Tuesday, October 15th, 2019.
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
As a software engineer on the Marketplace team, you’ll create scalable, distributed systems that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power web, mobile, and desktop applications. Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced and sold—in the U.S. now, and soon around the world. Today, growers don’t have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers’ main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible. Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers and preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic and similarly desirable crops. Your experience in interface design and software architecture will help us deliver a flexible backend to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
- Develop features end-to-end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating any risks and issues to stakeholders.
- Help design and implement performant APIs using a modern web stack consisting of TypeScript, GraphQL, and Apollo.
- Collaborate with product managers, front-end engineers, and data science engineers to spec, build, test and deploy high quality code in the cloud.
- Leverage applicable design patterns, refactoring code where necessary, to maintain organizational consistency.
- Ensure that all APIs are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests.
- Review code, have your code reviewed, and learn from other engineers.
- Voice your expertise to provide technical constraints and solutions to product managers, with a focus on incremental delivery.
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- You are pursuing a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- You’ve been building backend web applications through project work for 1+ years.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management.
- You have experience in one or more imperative programming languages. * You possess a good understanding of the web request/response lifecycle and API design -- including versioning, isolation and microservice architectures.
- You have experience deploying and monitoring software in a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- You have built applications using one or more of the following: Typescript, Node.js, GraphQL, Apollo.
- You understand how to design APIs and libraries that are easy for clients to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend systems.
- You’re able to research, propose, and evangelize new technologies or software patterns to improve the software ecosystem.
- You’re a strong communicator that can convey technical concepts and trade-offs to both engineering and business audiences.
- You have some experience working in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self-awareness.
- You are a perpetual learner and passionate about technology.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.