What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The Director of Strategy and Business Development, Transport will be responsible for leading overall platform capability and commercial strategy. In this role, you will partner with the Indigo Transport leadership team to conceptualize, define and implement revenue strategy for customer acquisition, engagement and profitability. You will also lead M&A, partnership and other key strategic projects for the business. This role serves as a thought partner for the Head of Indigo Transport and maintains the dialogue with senior management and the Board. We’re looking for candidates that have the enthusiasm and aptitude to excel in a dynamic work environment as an early member of the Indigo Transport team.
- Develop and prioritize commercial offerings required to achieve Transport business plan
- Prioritize offerings, including a view on value impact and implementation effort required
- Lead the assessment of initiatives to determine feasibility, requirements for success and impact on Transport platform objectives (e.g., engagement and trust)
- Lead the project management execution of the Transport business plan (supported by Transport staff)
- Learn business, priorities and assume project management leadership
- Lead the operationalization of key commercial initiatives
- Drive answer to key choices / tradeoffs around how to operationalize
- Develop recommendations that can be actioned by Transport leadership
- Lead the execution, supported by key members of the Transport team and drive cross functional support as needed
- Support key components of M&A/JVs, technologies or meaningful investment work.
- Drive answer of valuation and ROI analysis of key questions (informed through third party research and internal experts)
- Lead the international expansion strategy including entry strategy for Argentina, Brazil and Australia
- Understands and embodies our purpose & core values
- Understands our purpose and core values and what makes Indigo different from other companies.
- Demonstrates personal and/or professional passion for our core values.
- Widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making difficult decisions.
- Excellent analytical capabilities and strong financial modeling skills/experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong story building and PowerPoint skills
- Able to draft meeting ready versions of presentations to support strategic initiatives
- Self-starter and ability to work with little guidance
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to requirements to complete projects
- Strong interest in Indigo’s mission and helping company to execute to achieve goals
- Strong desire to learn and develop skill sets
- Willing to travel and work long hours
- Able to manage ambiguity and work on multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Takes ownership in work
- Highly organized and able to multitask
- Five plus years of work experience
- Banking, private equity, consulting and/or strategy/business development experience
- Agriculture experience not necessary
- Experience managing others, able to do so in a respectful and productive manner that helps develop others
- Ability to work cross functionally in a positive and team-oriented way whether as a project lead or as a contributor
- Based in Boston or Memphis preferred; 40-50% travel
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.