Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The Regional Field Data Specialist works with a team of Agronomists towards data collection efficiency, accuracy, and and completion. They provide in-the-field, 1-on-1 and regional group based training to their team, while serving as a boots-on-the-farm connection between Indigo’s Agronomy and Commercial teams.
- Train, support, and coach agronomist in reaching regional data collection targets and ensure consistent collection of data. Verify collected data for accuracy and relevancy. Responsible for 100% of data accurately and on-time collected in their Region.
- Deliver 1-on-1 hands-on in-field training to Indigo Agronomists and Indigo Certified Agronomists (ICAs) with a Train-the-Trainer approach on in-the-field data collection and technology tools.
- Use analytical tools for assuring quality and completeness of data. Responsible for 100% compliance with the Indigo’s data collection standards.
- Train, support, and coach agronomists, ICA’s and Field Operations Specialists (FOS) in a central point of data aggregation and successful data transmissions of on-farm data and remote monitoring equipment. Responsible for aggregation of data from 100% of Commercial Indigo acres and 75% of historical acres on commercial fields in their Region.
- Utilize dashboards to proactively identify and troubleshoot data flow, transmission, quality, and completeness issues with Agronomists, ICA’s and FOS;s in their Region. Independently manages schedule to keep all data collection in the Region up to date and on time.
- Train, support, and coach Agronomists in implementing precision ag programs to facilitate data capture in the field
- Deliver agricultural data to Field Data Manager and Agronomy Data Ambassador to aid in understanding the impact of agronomic decisions (Pre-plant, in-season and Post-Harvest) on crop health, crop yield and ultimately farmer profitability. Provide consistent feedback on digital tools utilized by field agronomy team, focused enhancing its ability to drive data driven actionable advice to 100% of Indigo customers.
- Communicates with Field Data Manager on regular basis regarding the status of data collection.
- Actively assist in special projects and assignments, such as collecting back data, retrieving specific documents, and collecting special data requests.
Attributes and Competencies:
Outstanding communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills - Outgoing and enthusiastically enjoys explaining data collection process and norms
- Proven track record of strong cross-functional communication, teaching, and engagement skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meticulously following specific directions.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot; easily adapts to new types of problems and questions; sees each problem as an opportunity and approaches them with excitement to solve; does not easily get frustrated or annoyed. Sticks with a problem until a solution has been found. Has a systematic and process-based approach to problem solving.
- Extremely strong customer focus, seeing growers, internal-, and external data stakeholders as our key end users, and grower success as our ultimate goal.
- Flexible to different types of analysis and different stakeholders (e.g. lab science, field trials, commercial team, business partners).
- Understands the basics of data science; understands the trials and tribulations of working with data; understands that each data set is an experiment.
- Adapts and thrives in a fast paced, ambiguous environment
- Familiarity with commonly encountered precision ag data collection tools and approaches.
- Independent self-starter will high level of responsibility.
- High level attention to detail and observant of their environment.
- Ability to travel up to 75% on average with peak periods of 80%-100%.
- Must be available during peak work cycle periods.
- Bachelor's Degree required and 1-2 years of industry experience in a relevant field such as agronomy, geospatial data collection and analysis, or qualitative/quantitative data collection.
- Experience in and/or eagerness to learn about agriculture, agronomy, GIS, spatial statistics, plant biology, microbiology, agricultural economics and financial hedging, and the plant microbiome
- Experience with teaching/instructing or mentoring required
- Familiar with production agriculture inputs and management decisions
- Experience with model validation and evaluation, and data imputation
- Familiar with all major monitors and commercial software programs
- Experience working in industry and a dedication to Data Science performed in an industry setting
- Must be familiar with regional specific crops (i.e. rice, cotton, wheat, corn, soybeans)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.