At Indigo, our mission is: harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We started down this path leveraging microbiology, but we have quickly expanded across the entire agriculture supply chain.
IndigoCarbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. Our goal is to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to make it happen. If you’ve been looking for a company that moves at the speed of Silicon Valley and is explicitly taking on climate change, we’d love to hear from you.
This role is taking on a critical piece of the puzzle. There is a lot of momentum around climate change, but too many governments and companies ask themselves, “Are consumers willing to pay for sustainability claims?” At Indigo, we think the answer is YES, and our GM of the Carbon Consumer Platform will be responsible for that. You will own the P&L for the entire consumer-facing side of the business. To drive consumer demand, we are investing in a tech-enabled, multi-faceted platform to allow consumers to enjoyably and easily understand and offset their carbon footprint. No one has ever done this before. We need a leader who will help us set up this tech product platform, embrace the consumer perspective, and learn rapidly from both our successes and failures. In this role, you will act as the General Manager of the business, driving a successful P&L statement. You would report to Ed Smith, VP and Head of Carbon Markets and the Terraton Initiative.
The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
- Own the P&L for the Carbon Consumer business, driving revenue by focusing on selling carbon credits directly to consumers through a multi-faceted consumer-facing platform
- Develop the end-to-end product experience vision and plan for how consumers can easily and enjoyably support growers in their effort to draw down 1 trillion tons of carbon from the atmosphere into ag soil. The customer experience can occur on a mobile app, a website, a payments platform – the sky is the limit on the vision you can set.
- Manage a cross functional team in making the tech product vision a reality, including (but not limited to): product management, engineering, IT, marketing, finance, legal, and agronomy
- Design the experience that connects consumers in the form of a product vision and compelling consumer-facing story
- Collaborate with the Strategy Team to develop the Carbon Consumer business plan, including competitive differentiation, unit economics, and a 12-month workplan for the consumer demand side of Indigo’s carbon market
- Analytical thinker - can look at data, draw insights and implement changes to improve the customer/consumer experience
- Comfortable with ambiguity (i.e. able to conceptualize and execute against abstract ideas)
- Ability to execute on a long-term vision and plan while quickly testing, learning and iterating
- Ability to interact with and mobilize cross-functional teams to launch and manage products in a fast-paced environment
- Strategic thinker and motivational leader who can clearly articulate their vision and lead a cross-functional team in making it a reality
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a “roll up their sleeves to get things done” attitude
- Strong bias for action
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Highly collaborative and able to drive progress across the organization without direct management
- Proven ability to operate successfully in blank canvas scenarios
- Aligned with our core values and excited about Indigo’s mission
- 8+ years total work experience required, with 2+ years’ experience in category management, product management, brand management, or general management
- Advanced degree preferred, preferably MBA or Master’s in Design
- Experience and proven success bringing new products to market required
- Experience managing cross-functional teams required
- Experience leading a large team required; experience building a team preferred
- Credit card / payments platform experience preferred
- Role is based in Boston; some travel to be expected
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.