Manager of Payroll Operations
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The Manager of Payroll Operations will be responsible our company’s overall payroll operation. This role requires a passion for processes and organization, as well as the desire to have a positive impact on our fast-growing workforce. This role will be based in Boston, and will report to the Director of Payroll Operations in Boston.
- Own bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll process from start to finish with very minimal oversight and no errors, ensuring YTD payrolls are error-free and W2s and other regular processes are error-free and completed on time
- Manage the payroll processing cycle times to ensure they meet internal business performance indicators.
- Ensure option exercise, restricted stock vesting and shares sold from Employee Stock Purchase Plan are coded and reported appropriately in payroll.
- Maintain excellent relationships with internal customers and vendors.
- Collaborate with the Human Resources team to ensure efficient and timely processing of new hires and terminations and other employee changes.
- Resolve day-to-day issues that arise relating to payroll and benefits.
- Develop staffing models and strategies; assess skills and effectiveness of payroll personnel.
- Manage and mentor the Payroll Specialist(s).
- Assist with SOX, financial and tax audits & reviews
- Manage system enhancements and upgrades and testing thereof
- Ad Hoc reporting & special projects as needed
- Provides exceptional customer support so that employees view the Finance team as helpful and responsive, our people never complain about payroll, and payroll questions are answered quickly and accurately
- Partner with stakeholders to define and implement required guidelines and policies. Formalize procedures to ensure compliance with stated policies and controls, including audit.
- Manage Global Payroll processes including approval and maintenance of employee information, coordination and resolution of payroll or withholding issues, and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Extremely organized with strong attention to detail
- Highly trustworthy and able to handle confidential material
- Works well cross-functionally in a collaborative manner
- Rolls up sleeves and digs into the work to get things done
- Root cause analysis and be proactive in resolution of issues
- Comfortable flagging items outside of policies; persistent when it comes to following up
- Highly process-oriented
- Customer focused and exceptional customer service
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively in a fast paced enviornment
- Team player who is open to creative ideas and doesn’t just fall back on doing what’s always been done
- Positive, can-do attitude with exceptional customer service
- Passionate about Indigo’s mission and core values
- Pro-active ownership in work and takes extreme pride in their work product
- BA/BS with a major in Business Management or Finance
- 5+ years of payroll processing experience, with at least 2 consecutive years of payroll at the same company
- Experience with multi-state payroll
- Comprehensive tax knowledge with visas, new state registrations and payroll withholding
- Experience in a fast-paced private and publicly-traded company with at least 1000 employees
- Solid knowledge and understanding of new and changing tax rules and payroll implications
- Understanding of compliance requirements for stock option activity and related compliance reporting
- Solid understanding of payroll and benefit concepts required, experience with ADP Workforce Now, Time and Attendance and General Ledger Interface
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced enviornment
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.