CMO coordinator – COORDINATION, SCHEDULING AND PLANNING
Indigo is a high growth innovative agriculture company based in Boston. We have an extraordinary opportunity to help farmers harness nature to feed the planet in a sustainable manner. Our biological advancements enable us to work with farmers to improve agriculture in a way that creates enormous economic value while benefiting the environment and providing consumers a more natural food supply.
Our aim is to scale Indigo quickly with a goal of $1+B in revenue by 2020 and we are building out our manufacturing function to enable this ambitious goal. The focus of the manufacturing function is to maintain and manage a strong network of Contract Manufacturing Operations (CMOs) and logistics operations to produce and supply the active biological seed inoculants to our seed treatment partners.
Our pipeline of inoculants is strong, and we expect to commercialize several new strains every year – both fungal and bacterial strains, using different production technologies both upstream and downstream. As we operate in agricultural biotech, our delivery schedule is strongly seasonal; inoculants must be available in quantity and quality for the spring planting season and for winter crops.
The CMO coordinator will be responsible for timely agreements, planning and scheduling as well as follow up on performance for the CMOs in the manufacturing network.
Our initial focus area for the network of CMOs is North America, but we are expanding globally and want to work with the world’s leaders in Bio-manufacturing and we are in the process of reaching markets globally, so you should expect to be working with CMOs globally.
You will be reporting directly to the VP of manufacturing and the job is based at our headquarters in Charlestown, MA.
Working closely with the Manufacturing team, QA/QC, Finance and Commercial, you will be the primary coordinator and point of contact for our network of CMOs at commercial scale.
Your focus will be on
- Capacity and planning/collaboration to ensure timely supplies for the strongly seasonal business of seed treatment.
- Support ongoing manufacturing operations through process monitoring, trending, issue resolution, and identifying risks and opportunities for process improvement
- Support the development and execution of Manufacturing processes and procedures such as data reviews, tech transfer protocols, and process control strategies
- Super user of Indigo’s ERP system where we keep track of orders, deliveries, payments and product inventory
- Follow up, visualize and analyze QC and all release data from the CMOs to facilitate decisions in the manufacturing team.
- Review batch records from CMOs and ensure prompt action on deviations and other compliance issues.
- Support scale-up studies and process transfer to CMOs
- Supporting regulatory filings with manufacturing process descriptions
- Participate in CMO site visits, qualifications and investigations
- Other coordination tasks, sample flow etc.
As Indigo grows, the relationship with CMOs will be evolving and you will be assisting the manufacturing team in ensuring that Indigo makes the right strategic choices and implements the right strategies in our network of CMOs so that it supports our business objectives. We will be working with cost, capacity, planning, dedicated setups and using alternative business models in ensuring the optimal setup.
Indigo develops production processes in collaboration with CMOs and you will be assisting process development and manufacturing teams in collecting and organizing data and information on the process development to facilitate decision making in this complex task.
Your ability to communicate clearly with external and internal stakeholders, and your participation in troubleshooting is going to be key to success in this job.
You must appreciate and thrive in a high pressure, fast paced environment.
Your communication skills must be top notch – you will be working with a range of colleagues and partners at the CMOs, and in many cases you act as a bridge and problem solver between different interests.
You have technical aptitude, experience in project management, and have the ability and experience to understand the reality at the CMO as well as Indigo requirements.
2-3 years of experience in Manufacturing, Manufacturing Technical Operations, Manufacturing Science & Technology, Process Development, or Project management – preferably in a biotech or manufacturing environment.
Self-motivated, ready to take control and resolve both logistic and collaborative issues – establish close collaborations with CMOs and ensure that goals and interests are aligned between Indigo and the CMOs.
It is a plus if you have experience using an ERP system.
BS required, MS preferred.
The position is based in Boston, and you should expect 10% travel activity to visit CMOs and between Indigo sites.