Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Automation Engineer Lead with an interest in agriculture to contribute to a fast-growing and innovative company. The mission of this role is to define and execute on automation and engineering initiatives for optimizing the throughput and quality of the R&D processes delivering on our pipeline. This position will report into the Head of Project Management & Facilities, and will be a heavily cross-functional role spanning reach across numerous departments, including but not limited to: Discovery, Product Development, Bioprocessing, Quality, and Tech Services.
- Within 3 months, gather input from the organization, define a prioritized set of strategic automation and engineering initiatives, develop project plans to execute on them, and have it approved by the R&D Leadership team.
- Engage internal and external resources, and within 6-12 months as needed, hire, on-board, and develop a small team to own the execution of the projects outlined in the approved strategic initiatives.
- By the end of 2019, due to the output of the candidates group, the Indigo R&D Stage-Gate Process has 10× throughput with 5× increase in efficiency spanning laboratory, greenhouse, and field environments.
- Continually engage external companies to evaluate and, as needed, import and/or partner to build tools and technologies to deliver on the mission of the role.
- Understands and embodies our purpose and core values.
- Proven ability to connect to a broader industry, identify and import engineering solutions to de-bottleneck processes
- Rigorously follows good design principles: Designs, calculations, models, drawings, BOMs, data entry, operations and maintenance manuals, startup guides, troubleshooting guides, and spare parts lists
- Strong functional leadership and ability to drive a team
- Excellent listening and communication skills to all levels and backgrounds at appropriate detail
- Action plan oriented self-starter
- High energy and commitment to a fast, paced dynamic environment
- Team player with ability to work cross functionally and simplify complex information from various level and departments
- Strong strategic thinking married with exceptional execution
- Seen by the R&D Organization as a problem solver, and being respectful of scientific constraints to applying engineering solutions
- Passion for Indigo and our core values
- BS, MS, or PhD in an engineering discipline (mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, chemical engineering, or electrical engineering)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in industry, with a preference towards biotechnology and/or agriculture
- Has a proven track record of developing and leading functional teams towards achievement of aggressive goals
- Engineering skills spanning automation, instrumentation, and efficient data capture/processing, with a preference towards an R&D setting
- Preference for someone with experience with biological systems (plant or microbial)
- Preference for someone who has strong CAD and FEA experience
Boston, MA or Research Triangle Park, NC with travel at 20-50% to either