Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (IX). IX’s advertising exchange handles billions of auctions and generates terabytes of auction-related information every day. The Data Engineering team builds infrastructure and tools to manage this vast amount of data as well as products to make https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dxBTuzqHjfYt1iffuV-H7CVZmX6H5mBOYNjdRe-8mrI/edit#this data available and useful to our customers. The KW Data Engineers use a suite of technology and hardware to ingest, parse, and share our data. We’re looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange with real-time streaming and batch analytical capabilities.
Working with exciting technologies, your teams will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on our Engineering teams to keep IX and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for Engineers who have experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, and be a technical leader on our team.
We are a global technology company that connects the largest publishers and marketers across the globe through programmatic advertising. We ensure publishers are able to secure their bottom line so they can provide content to consumers and bring news and information to society at large. Our mission is to democratize digital advertising, all while helping marketers reach the audiences that matter most to them across digital channels. For over 20 years, IX has been known as the change agents of digital advertising – innovators who help shape how our industry reacts to new challenges and shifts in the market. As a result, we’ve been able to partner with some of the most prominent players in the media industry including Hearst, Disney, and Meredith Corporation among many others.
Here’s what we want:
- Mentor: Your foremost responsibility is to inspire and help your teams deliver excellence. Communicate clearly and concisely to implement best practices and processes to ensure that all Engineers are on the same page. Help them understand the 'why' behind technical best practices and designs. Your role directly impacts the acceleration of the growth of talent within our organization.
- Collaborative: We need someone who can work well with other people - both your immediate team as well as all the other departments across IX
- Passionate: A passion for Big Data and an interest in the latest trends and developments is key for success on this team. We want you to constantly research, study, and create new tools and data technologies to improve productivity without sacrificing existing capabilities
- Self-driven: You’ll be on an agile team with lots of autonomy and you need to be comfortable pushing your projects and getting things done.
- Team Player: Our teams are passionate about their projects and products. They have a strong sense of ownership. Working within the teams you will help them grow individually and as a team. This is not a role for a hero who wants to do it all themselves.
- Technical: You will help your teams do technical assessments on high level business objectives to help design solutions. You will help the team refine those designs with your depth of experience and technical skills. You will need to have a strong foundation in software development and great problem solving skills. You will promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth.
- Problem Solver: You are curious and love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution and solve a problem
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with Product Owners, other Engineering Leads, and Data Engineers to deliver technical solutions to maximize business value
- Define Big Data strategy to evolve our data analytics, reporting, data visualization, and data pipeline and delivery service platform
- Mentor as a technical SME for Data Engineering division working across multiple full-stack engineering teams
- Develop, with your teams, customer facing solutions to make our data accessible
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s ok. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- 7+ years of work experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience working in Agile methodologies
- 3+ years of work experience designing and building high performance data applications with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive or other equivalent technologies
- Proficiency in some of the following languages: Scala, Java, Python, Bash
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems and familiar with mainstream big data related technologies and distributed frameworks
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL systems
- Knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience optimizing performance with large data sets
- Experience working with CI/CD, automated testing, containerization, and virtualization tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker
- Good understanding of modern data structures and business intelligence reporting tools and track record of applying those to build systems
- Ability to be efficient and to prioritize and deliver on time
- Must demonstrate strong leadership, mentoring, collaboration, and communication skills
Why you’ll love working here:
- Our teams are built around cooperation, teamwork, and respect
- We don't have a dress code and offer flexible work hours
- Paid vacation, 12 incidental sick days per year, and 5% RRSP matching
- 100% company paid comprehensive medical, dental and paramedical plan
- Flexible health spending account
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunity. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification - diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility - IX will welcome you.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Index Exchange* will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com or call 416.785.5908 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).
*Considering COVID-19, until further notice, everyone is required to Work from Home. When offices re-open, you will be required to follow the mandate of your local office.