We are a global technology company that connects the largest publishers and marketers across the globe through programmatic advertising. We ensure publishers are able to secure their bottom line so they can provide content to consumers and bring news and information to society at large. Our mission is to democratize digital advertising, all while helping marketers reach the audiences that matter most to them across digital channels. For over 20 years, IX has been known as the change agents of digital advertising – innovators who help shape how our industry reacts to new challenges and shifts in the market. As a result, we’ve been able to partner with some of the most prominent players in the media industry including Hearst, Disney, and Meredith Corporation among many others.
Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (IX). IX’s advertising exchange handles nearly 200 Billion auctions generating many terabytes of information every day. The Data Engineering team builds products to make this data available and useful to our customers. We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineering Lead to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange.
Working with exciting technologies, your teams will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on the Data Engineering team to keep IX and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for an Engineering Lead who has experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, and be a technical leader on our team.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Mentor data engineering teams to improve the process and promote best practices ( testing automation and framework, DevOps, and CI/CD etc.)
- Collaborate with Product Owners, other Engineering Leads, and Data Engineers to deliver technical solutions to maximize business value
- Provide high-level technical oversight on data project design, development, testing, deployment, and monitoring
- Assess, identify, and transform product values and visions into actual deliverables
- Identify potential solutions and assess them for both technical and business suitability
- You will also be part of the hiring process, giving opinions not only on candidates but on how we can shape a better and more relevant process for finding the best talent.
Here’s what we want:
- Mentor: Your foremost responsibility is to help your teams deliver excellence. Your role directly impacts the acceleration of the growth of talent within our organization. Communicate clearly and concisely to help the teams understand the 'why' behind technical best practices and designs.
- Collaborative: We need someone who can work well with other people - both your immediate team as well as all the other departments across IX
- Passionate: A passion for Big Data and software engineering best practices with an interest in the latest trends and developments is key for success on this team.
- Self-driven: You’ll be on an agile team with lots of autonomy and you need to be comfortable pushing your projects and helping your teams get things done.
- Team Player: Our teams are passionate about their projects and products. They have a strong sense of ownership. Working within the teams you will help them grow individually and as a team. This is not a role for a hero who wants to do it all themselves.
- Technical: You will help the team refine their designs with your depth of experience and skills. By promoting a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth.
- Ownership: Partnering with other members of Engineering and Product Leadership you will lead your teams, celebrate successes, and own the failures. In this role you’ll identify and manage technical risks and opportunities, taking responsibility for the quality of technical deliverables and the team’s overall performance.
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s ok. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- 7+ years of work experience as a software engineer or similar role
- 2+ years of experience in a technical lead or an architect role
- 2+ years of experience in architecting and building scalable data platforms processing data on a terabyte to petabyte scale
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems
- Proficient in several of the following technologies and programming languages:
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- Kubernetes, REST APIs, Airflow, ArgoCD, ELK stack
- Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Presto, Hive, Cassandra, Vertica
- Good understanding of modern data structures and business intelligence reporting tools
- Ability to be efficient and to prioritize and deliver on time
- Must demonstrate strong leadership skills, collaboration, and communication skills
Why you’ll love working here:
- Our teams are built around cooperation, teamwork, and respect
- We don't have a dress code and offer flexible work hours
- Paid vacation, 12 incidental sick days per year, and 5% RRSP matching
- 100% company paid comprehensive medical, dental and paramedical plan
- Flexible health spending account
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Index Exchange is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every person in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees and communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees without discrimination. Index Exchange believes equal opportunity and inclusion are essential to motivate, empower and recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to people with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Index Exchange* will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email IX.AllHumanResources@indexexchange.com or call 416.785.5908 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).
*Considering COVID-19, until further notice, everyone is required to Work from Home. When offices re-open, you will be required to follow the mandate of your local office.