Data Architect, Kitchener-Waterloo:
Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (IX). IX’s advertising exchange handles tens of billions of auctions and generates tens of terabytes of auction-related information every day. The Data Engineering team builds tools and infrastructure to manage this vast amount of data. Our Data Engineers use a suite of technology and hardware to ingest, parse, and maintain our data, including the oversight of multi-petabyte clusters. We’re looking for a Data Architect to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange with real-time streaming and batch analytical capabilities.
Working on the cutting edge of exciting technologies, you will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on the Data Engineering team to keep IX and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for a Data Architect who has experience in delivering Big Data solutions both on premise and in the cloud. You will be responsible for designing and developing software solutions to address variable Product needs related to complex Big Data problems. You will formulate an execution strategy to progress from the current state to the future state. We want you to lead the kickoff of your projects, delivering that vision to the teams, work through architectural design reviews and signoff follow through into deployment and monitoring - ensuring the architecture works in production.
Here’s what we want:
- Problem Solver: You need to be someone who is curious and loves taking multiple approaches to solve a problem to find the most efficient, scalable solution
- Collaborative: We need someone who can work well with other people - both your immediate team as well as all the other departments across IX
- Passionate: A passion for Big Data and an interest in the latest trends and developments is key for success on this team. We want you to constantly research, study and create new tools and data technologies to improve cluster productivity without sacrificing existing capabilities
- Self-driven: You’ll be on an agile team with lots of autonomy and you need to be comfortable pushing your projects and getting things done
- Leadership: Take charge of the design, mentorship and implementation for our solutions
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Engineering Leads, and Data Engineers to architect and deliver technical solutions to maximize business value
- Define Big Data strategy to evolve our data analytics, reporting, data visualization, and data pipeline and delivery service platform
- Lead as a technical SME for Data Engineering division working across multiple engineering teams
- Provide technical oversight on data project design, development and testing, deployment, and monitoring
Here’s what you have:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related fields
- 5+ years of work experience with ETL, data modeling and self-provision data services
- 2+ years of experience in architecting and building scalable data platforms processing data on a terabyte to petabyte scale with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Presto, Hive, Cassandra, Vertica, or other similar technologies
- In-depth knowledge of SQL databases, NoSQL database
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed system and familiar with mainstream big data related technologies and distributed frameworks
- Proficient in one or more of the following programming languages Java, Scala or Python
- Good understanding of modern data structures and business intelligence reporting tools and track record of applying those to build a system
- Ability to be efficient and to prioritize and deliver on time
- Must demonstrate strong leadership skills, collaboration and communication skills
Why you’ll love working here:
- Work out of Kitchener-Waterloo
- Open concept office designed to facilitate communication and collaboration
- Free snacks, drinks, and lunch catered in daily
- Flexible hours and relaxed dress code
- Annual celebrations (Summer BBQ, Holiday Party, All Hands, Hack Days) and milestone outings
- Paid vacation, unlimited sick days, and 5% RRSP matching
- 100% company paid comprehensive medical, dental and paramedical plan
- Flexible health spending account
- Generous and flexible annual wellness subsidy for gym memberships and classes
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Index Exchange is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every person in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees and communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees without discrimination. Index Exchange believes equal opportunity and inclusion are essential to motivate, empower and recognize the best in everyone.
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Index Exchange* will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416.785.5908 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).