Senior Data Engineerat Index Exchange
Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (IX). IX’s advertising exchange handles billions of auctions and generates terabytes of auction-related information every day. Our team builds tools and infrastructure to manage this vast amount of data and make it accessible for our customers. We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange with real-time streaming and batch analytical capabilities.
Working with exciting technologies, your team will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on our Engineering teams to keep IX and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for Engineers who have experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, and be a technical leader on our team.
Here’s what we want:
- Problem Solver: You are curious and love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution and solve a problem
- Collaborative: You work well with other people
- Passionate: You have a passion for Big Data and an interest in the latest trends and developments constantly researching new tools and data technologies
- Self-starter: You are comfortable helping your team get things done
- Leadership: You can mentor the team on the design, and implementation of our solutions
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Design, implement, and maintain data pipelines for extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources to various data services
- Identify, design, and implement system performance improvements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements
- Automate manual processes and optimize data delivery
- Guide and mentor team members
- Identify and assess potential solutions for technical and business suitability
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s ok. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- Bachelor/Master degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of work experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience working in Agile methodologies
- 3+ years of work experience designing and building high performance data applications with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive or other equivalent technologies
- Proficiency in some of the following languages: Scala, Java, Python, Bash
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems and familiar with mainstream big data related technologies and distributed frameworks
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL systems
- Experience with automated testing systems
- Mentorship, collaboration, and communication skills
- Knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience optimizing performance with large data sets
- Experience working with CI/CD, containerization, and virtualization tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker
Why you’ll love working here:
- Work out of our downtown Toronto North York Engineering office with easy transit access
- Flexible hours and relaxed dress code
- Excellent family benefits at a family focused company
- Open concept office designed to facilitate communication and collaboration
- Free snacks, drinks, and lunch catered daily
- Annual celebrations (Summer BBQ, Holiday Party, All Hands, Hack Days) and milestone outings
- Full family healthcare benefits, paid vacation, unlimited sick days, 5% RRSP matching, discounted gym memberships and more
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Index Exchange is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every person in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees and communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees without discrimination. Index Exchange believes equal opportunity and inclusion are essential to motivate, empower and recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to people with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Index Exchange* will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email IX.AllHumanResources@indexexchange.com or call 416.785.5908 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).