We’re looking for a high-energy social producer / editor / writer / creator / manager. You’ve had a tweet or ten go viral or get stolen by a prominent comedian / writer / thinker. You make GIFs. But most of all, you understand how communities form and evolve on various networks. You’re probably pretty weird. That’s good.
You should have a deep understanding of current, relevant social networks and a keen eye for what’s coming next. It helps greatly if you have editorial interests and an obsession with the news. You should be a voracious reader / watcher / user / maker of modern media.
You will report to and work closely with an audience development manager who maintains relationships and partnerships with social network reps.
You must be able to:
- Create, curate, and promote provocative and compelling content across our social media channels
- Work with tech teams and product leads on developing platform-specific social tools / concepts
- Build audience, engage followers, and generate incoming traffic from social channels
- Work closely with editors to plan, implement, and manage schedules for all social media content
- Identify / package compelling visuals to accompany stories
- Collaborate with editorial teams to evolve and guide social media strategy
- Monitor and continuously improve social media reach and engagement metrics
- Test and optimize creative, messaging, target audiences, and placements
- At least 2 years related professional experience, ideally creating content and building audience / engagement for a publisher or media brand
- The ability to execute on big / strange ideas, write brilliant copy, and generate compelling creative in service of our stories
- A mind forever voyaging, a great sense of humor, and obscure knowledge of the internet and internet culture
- Experience and proven ability to develop social media content that generates social reach and builds meaningful audience
- A complete and instinctive understanding of social networks, social trends, and how they can be leveraged collectively to drive impact, loyalty, and engagement
- Skills in Google Apps, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, and Keynote (also helpful if you’re good with Photoshop / making visual things)
- Ability to learn, utilize, and improve internal systems and processes
- A desire to be involved with entrepreneurial weirdos
Independent Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.