Technical Co-Founder at Stealth Biotech Startup
A portfolio company of the AI2 Incubator
Life-saving scientific discoveries are held back by a lack of reproducibility.
We are on a mission to accelerate life science breakthroughs using Generative AI, making science more intuitive and reproducible.
If you’ve ever worked in research, you know how hard it is to stay up-to-date on scientific literature and plan experiments. We are catalyzing a future where a researcher can quickly compare experimental approaches, design experiments to test hypotheses, and purchase critical lab supplies. This isn’t just a nice-to-have efficiency booster for scientists - it will transform how scientists learn and conduct research, enabling them to be more creative.
Our platform addresses a huge need in life sciences R&D, from basic research to therapeutic discovery. Lab purchasing alone - a subset of the overall market we serve - is projected to be a $50 billion market by 2027. This is an opportunity to build a generational company, accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries with life-saving potential.
WHO WE ARE
We believe in making an impact on science through building both tools and scientific community. We are a team of scientists and engineers with decades of expertise at the interface of lab research and software. We understand the needs of customers and have significant background selling enterprise software to the pharma, biotech, and academic markets. More importantly, we’ve experienced first-hand the pains of experiments that cannot be reproduced and the administrative hassle of planning and recording experiments. We are also serial entrepreneurs, using traditional and generative AI to simplify and streamline scientific progress.
WHAT YOU’LL DO IN THIS ROLE
We are looking for a founding Chief Technology Officer (CTO) who believes in our mission and will play a foundational role in shaping our AI-driven product. You will define and own our technological vision and roadmap by:
- Work as part of the founding team to conceptualize, iterate, and refine our product roadmap.
- Lead the design and implementation of NLP algorithms tailored for the needs of life scientists.
- Architect and develop scalable machine learning solutions to support a multi-product platform.
- Integrate with third-party apps and open-source models/code to offer diverse capabilities.
- Develop and implement evaluation frameworks and metrics for models.
- Leading the creation and maintenance of diverse and high-quality datasets.
- Recruit and build out a cross-functional team to develop and fine-tune our core data infrastructure.
We’re looking for creativity, humility, and passion. We firmly believe that the best candidates don’t always match the limited criteria mentioned in the job description. If you are excited about our vision and feel that you could be a valuable asset to our team, please apply. This role demands thorough expertise in building scalable AI systems, but more critically, enthusiasm for rapid adaptation and learning.
- Proven experience building and fine-tuning GenAI and NLP platforms; NLP research background is a significant advantage.
- Several years of hands-on experience in applied ML, preferably within startup or agile environments.
- Advanced proficiency in Python and familiarity with leading deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or Pytorch.
- Exposure to and knowledge of the latest advancements in NLP research.
- Experience in computer vision or with multimodal large language models is a plus.
- Familiarity with modern software development practices, including CI/CD, containerization, and orchestration tools.
- Prior work experience in the tech industry.
- Proficiency in AI-based tech solutions, familiar with prevalent tools, languages, and frameworks.
- Hands-on experience in shaping product specifications, streamlining workflows, and designing rigorous testing frameworks.
- While we don't bind candidates to a strict number of years or degree requirements, a demonstrated comprehension of end-to-end AI application in real-world scenarios is crucial.
- Preferably some familiarity with the life sciences/biotech sector, but not necessary.
- A genuine passion for helping scientists and engineers make fundamental discoveries and an enthusiasm for bleeding-edge technology. An innate sense of wonder and an intrinsic desire to create things, tempered by humility and authenticity.
- Ability to contribute strategically coupled with a desire to get your hands dirty by delivering high-quality, user-centric products.
- Independent self-starter, capable of leading initiatives with a sense of urgency.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING WITH US
We are a fast-moving, high energy team with extensive connections across life sciences (e.g., academia, biotech, pharma) and tech. As an early stage startup, we also have several unique benefits that you can’t really get anywhere else:
- Impact — This is an opportunity to build something from the ground up, define a new product, and lead a team over time.
- Early employee impact — As a member of the very early team, you will play a pivotal role in helping shape our product, team, and culture. No matter how many thousands of people join after you, you’ll always be able to say you helped build this from the ground up. It looks great on a resume, too.
- Early stage equity — A benefit of joining early. None of us (neither our founders nor our investors) would be here if we didn’t think that our company will create tremendous value over time.
- Salary — We are definitely a scrappy startup. You can expect salary raises that bring you closer to market rates as we grow. Of course, you’ll also get the other benefits of taking on early risk, including the energy and excitement of a startup combined with unparalleled learning opportunities.
About the AI2 Incubator:
The AI2 Incubator helps entrepreneurs come up with ideas, find co-founders, engage pilot customers, refine their product, work with research paper authors to incorporate the latest A.I. techniques into their technology, and raise millions of dollars in venture funding. They have a strategic relationship with the Allen Institute for AI —a world-leading research institute with over 200 A.I. PhDs, researchers, engineers, and support staff—allowing them to dive deep into the latest tech and access one of the most talented groups of researchers.
PRIVACY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: