Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 270 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role....
Inari is seeking an experienced Legal Counsel to join our fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial, and team-focused global organization. This role is based in our Cambridge, MA location and reports to the Senior Legal Counsel. This role will take responsibility for selected Corporate legal matters (incl. with respect to IPO-readiness and future publicly listed company) and to partner with R&D, Data and Information (including Inari’s Machine learning/AI function and IS&T), Finance (internal function) to provide legal support in a wide range of contract matters (drafting, reviewing, negotiating), legal opinions, risk management. As part of the broader Legal, IP and Compliance team, this role will put you in a position to work closely with the senior Leadership group on executing the company strategic agenda and key transactions, collaborations and licenses, mitigating risks and providing insight on all contracts and other legal matters. In addition, Legal Counsel will be engaged in matters around corporate development that will further the growth of the company.
As Legal Counsel at Inari, you will…
- Work directly with internal and external partners, vendors and customers and others to draft, manage, and negotiate contracts and agreements
- Collaborate with executive and senior team members to provide support in delivering contractual transactions including technology licenses, service agreement, and financial transactions
- Provide advice and professional guidance on risks related to the company operations and suitability of contracts toward the attainment of company goals
- Draft and verify all documents and contracts to ensure they meet high levels of quality and accuracy with high level of attention to detail
- Support the development of internal policies and guidelines
- Partner with the Chief Legal Officer and the Executive team to engage in strategic opportunities and projects
- Juris Doctor degree (JD) and actively licensed to practice law in the US
- Minimum of 7 years’ legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house, providing legal support to the business and drafting and negotiating complex contracts including technology licenses.
- Experience in biotechnology or other life sciences field is a plus, particularly in the agriculture sector.
- Experience with SEC filings and providing securities regulation advice is preferred.
- Excellent legal credentials and strong strategic thinking, business acumen and communication skills working as part of a highly performing and diverse team in various locations (US and international).
- The skills and EQ to be a valued business-partner working with a broad range of colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility to contribute and thrive in a fast-paced, growth-stage company; desire to build and develop a growing company and department.
- A proactive approach to assignments and a willingness to ownership of tasks
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning.
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure.
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback.
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to work confidentially and responsibly on sensitive issues at all levels within an organization.
- Advanced skills with Google suite and Microsoft 360 and the ability to learn new legal department applications.