Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 230 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
Manager, Machine Learning
About the role...
Inari is looking for a Manager of Machine Learning. Our team is building cloud-native, machine learning-based systems that tackle problems at the intersection of breeding, gene editing, and agronomy, working closely with data scientists, bioinformaticians, quantitative geneticists, and crop scientists. As the Manager of Machine Learning, you will lead a team to deliver machine learning and AI solutions from design to release in production.
Inari is a late-stage biotech startup on a mission to transform the food system and create a more sustainable future. We are using predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to unlock the full potential of seeds. Inari was named a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and our Inari Engineering team is featured in the top 16 Engineering teams in the tech industry.
If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
Location: Cambridge, MA, Ghent, Belgium, or West Lafayette, IN
What you’ll do
- Build, lead and deploy ML projects from design to release in production
- Develop re-usable ML architectures (frameworks, model, and components)
- Understand, document, and define the data strategy for the ML projects
- Participate in the design and review of features, data architecture, test strategies, technology selection, platform architecture, time and budget estimates
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the engineering, product, operations, and other business teams to define the strategic ML roadmap and develop success metrics
- Implement best-in-class data science methodologies and tools to enhance existing products and solutions
- Conduct end-to-end data insights strategy from a variety of disparate life sciences datasets producing impactful visualization and reporting meaningful findings
- Rapidly identify and prototype methods and visualizations to answer critical business questions
- Identify opportunities to apply the latest advancements in ML/AI to Inari’s products
- Stay up to date on industry trends and best practices and build effective and impactful external networks to foster continued innovation of Inari’s ML strategies
- Lead a growing team of Machine Learning Engineers and provide analytics leadership and direction as they design, build and deploy new products
- Foster excellence through coaching and mentoring of your team
- Set the standards and expectations of your team, especially around diversity and inclusion
- 6+ years of progressive experience in Data Science with demonstrated leadership capabilities with 3+ years of management experience
- Strong experience in AI/ML, computational biology, bioinformatics, or related, with proven track records (e.g. publications in top-tier journals and conferences, patents, awards, etc.)
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, BioInformatics, Data Sciences, Applied Math, Operations Research, or a related field
- Expert proficiency in Python, R, or related software environments
- Experience building and deploying end-to-end ML solutions that deliver product value
- A deep understanding of current data science best practices in areas such as NLP, computer vision, audio/video analysis, search, predictive analytics, recommender systems, and deep learning
- Proven delivery experience in complicated contexts, able to influence and engage the strategic and technical partners in a matrix organization
- Strong commitment to our team’s values: learn from every decision, no heroes/heroines, thoughtful inclusion, and fail fast.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Active interest in learning new technology or domains. We are an organization that goes across many disciplines.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven organization focused on sustainability and how we grow food
- Experience working with agtech or biotech.
- Experience with Scala, Go, AirFlow, MLflow, Quilt
- Experience with Databricks platform
- Experience working with computational scientists and understanding their diverse needs.
- Deep Learning frameworks: Keras, Tensorflow, Scikit-learn, Spark-MLib
- Experience with high-throughput data generation pipeline, from sequencing platform to data analysis environment
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing services and its service offering (e.g., RDS, Athena, SageMaker)
Learn more about us:
Helping farmers feed the world: https://seedworld.com/faster-breeding-will-help-farmers-feed-the-world/
World Economic Forum Global Innovator: https://inari.com/news/inari-selected-for-world-economic-forums-global-innovators-community
Bloomberg: Inari AgTech Startup https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-12/agtech-startup-inari-nabs-new-funding-at-1-2-billion-valuation