Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 230 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role….
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Soy Scientist to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Soy Scientist you will play a central role in leading the development of our soy transformation technologies and support our soy lead discovery activities. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, hands-on executing, and coordinating tasks and scientific projects with a focus on soy.
At the interplay between discovery and product design, this diverse role includes both a strategic element of developing soy discovery activities that integrate Inari’s predictive models, and a lab-based role for hands-on work to efficiently and methodically plan, execute and coordinate experimental work. You will ensure experiments are executed efficiently and correctly and milestones are met on time. The right candidate combines extensive soy knowledge (both genetic and trait physiology) with a willingness to learn and thrives in a fast paced environment in the true “start-up” atmosphere. The soy scientist is well organized, flexible, shows good judgment, takes initiative and is willing to take on a variety of tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team.
As a Soy Transformation Lead Scientist, you will....
- Provide scientific support to further developing, with our transformation team, our soy transformation capabilities
- Supporting our soy lead discovery activities, as well as the genetic design of future soy products.
- Design, implement, hands on executing and coordinating scientific tasks and activities.
- Coordinate lab experiments performed by research assistants and perform hands-on research activities if necessary some of which may include: vector design and construction for multiple projects on a regular basis, diverse molecular analyses (PCR genotyping, sequencing analysis, qPCR, Western blot), greenhouse activities, and phenotyping.
- Train and instruct lab/greenhouse personnel in specific technical experimental protocols.
- Collaborate with Research Assistants and other Scientists to execute scientific experiments related to one or more projects
- Manage third party collaborations
- Scout for new technologies and partners
- Maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensible records of all experiments and results
- Interpret and analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations
- (co-)Develop new scientific project proposals
- Communicate results in written and oral presentations
- PhD in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Physiology or related field with at least 5 years of experience (including post doc).
- Post-doctoral research, training, and experience
- Knowledge of and experience with crop biology and plant biotechnology is essential.
- Demonstrated scientific leadership to independently design, implement, coordinate and drive to successful outcomes scientific projects
- Expertise in soy and crop physiology
- Expertise with plant & cell transformation techniques
- Knowledge of genome editing technologies
- Strong record of independent research supported by peer-reviewed publications and/or patents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills adapted to the needs of the target audience
- Ability to thrive and deliver results on goals in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly multi-tasking environment
- Pro-active, highly motivated and strong team player with a high degree of independence
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Experience with people management
- Industry experience is a plus
What Inari offers…
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus
- Stock options
- Group insurance
- Health insurance
- Meal vouchers
- Free public transportation