About the role...
This is a great opportunity for a Plant Breeding Research Associate to join our growing Product Development team and help us expand our breeding and field testing capabilities. The primary function of this position is to assist the Corn Breeding Lead in day-to-day operations of all aspects of breeding and research efforts for corn including planting and harvesting field trials, seed preparation, and maintenance of research fields and small equipment. The position is based at our West Lafayette, Indiana site.
As a Plant Breeding Research Associate, you will…
- Assist with all aspects of field research including seed packaging, planting, plot maintenance, data collection, experimental design, and harvesting
- Assist with efforts to identify and select important and diverse corn germplasm to bring added value into our product portfolio
- Purchase and maintain inventory of supplies used in research program
- Supervise and train temporary employees, and ensure a safe working environment
- B.S. degree in plant breeding, crop science, agronomy, horticulture, or related field
- Knowledge of crop production, field research, and plant phenotyping
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to achieve team goals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting and harvesting seasons in a variety of weather conditions; able to lift 50 pounds
- A positive and entrepreneurial attitude. Ability to challenge the status quo to spark improved strategies, methods, and practices in a fast-paced startup environment
- Energy, self-motivation, ownership and focused execution
- Curiosity; desire to continuously learn and have a meaningful impact
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks
- A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback.
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
- Plant breeding knowledge and experience with corn and/or row crop breeding and production
- Pesticide applicator license (or ability to obtain)
- Experience with PRISM and Google Suites
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 170 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!