About the role…
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Maize Scientist to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Maize Scientist, you will play a central role in developing and managing our maize lead discovery activities, as well as the genetic design of future corn products. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, hands-on executing, and coordinating tasks and scientific projects with a focus on maize.
At the interplay between discovery and product design, this diverse role includes both a strategic element of developing corn discovery activities that integrate Inari’s predictive models, and a lab-based role for hands-on work to efficiently and methodically plan, execute and coordinate experimental work.
As a Maize Scientist, you will...
- Develop and manage our maize lead discovery activities and work to produce genetic designs for future corn products
- Lead the design, implementation, execution and coordination of scientific tasks and activities
- Coordinate lab experiments performed by yourself and research assistants,some of which may include: routine vector design and construction for multiple projects, diverse molecular analyses (i.e., PCR-based genotyping, DNA sequencing analysis, qPCR and Western blot analysis)
- Support maize research activities in the greenhouse including routine plant growth and phenotyping activities
- Train and instruct lab/greenhouse personnel in specific technical tasks and experimental protocols.
- Collaborate with Research Assistants and other Scientists to execute scientific experiments for one or more projects
- Manage third party collaborations
- Scout for new technologies and partners
- Maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensible records of all experiments and results
- Interpret/analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations based on the results
- (co-)Develop new scientific project proposals
- Communicate results in well-written and clear oral presentations
- PhD in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Physiology or related field with at least 10 years of experience or Master in aforementioned fields with 15+ years of experience
- Post-doctoral research, training, and experience in crop biology and plant biotechnology
- Deep knowledge and expertise in maize and crop physiology
- Knowledge and experience with genetics and genome editing technologies
- Demonstrated scientific leadership to independently design, implement, coordinate and drive to successful scientific project outcomes
- Strong record of independent research supported by peer-reviewed publications and/or patent applications and patents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills adapted to the needs of the target audience
- Ability to thrive and deliver progress toward multiple goals in a fast-paced, dynamic and diverse environment
- Pro-active, highly-motivated and strong team player in planning but with a high degree of independence in execution
- Experience leading a project team working towards a common goal
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Creative thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks
- Openness to giving and receiving ideas, appreciate diverse perspectives, and feedback across multiple teams
- Collaborative team player and capacity to work in multidisciplinary teams
Additional Desired Skills/Experience...
- Industry experience is a plus
- Experience with people management
- Knowledge of (crop) plant & cell transformation techniques