About the role...
We are looking for a dynamic, self motivated and proactive scientist to join our growing Science organization. As a Wheat Science Lead you, will lead the scientific design of our wheat products as part of a multifunctional team comprising members of the product development, IP, regulatory, breeding and commercial teams. Your primary role will be to define what sequences/genes should be targeted and what type of modifications should be performed to address the wheat product concepts. As a member of our multidisciplinary science organization, you will also have the opportunity to contribute to other projects and develop your own ideas to address the most important challenges in modern agriculture.
As a Wheat Scientist, you will...
- Design and execute experiments for the nomination of genes and edits for all the wheat products based on the input from the product concept team
- Collaborate with members of the product development, IP, regulatory and commercial team at Inari to provide a complete design for the product development team to produce edited wheat
- Coordinate the work between the science platform in Cambridge and the product development team in West Lafayette
- Manage the interactions with external partners to ensure that the design is adapted to local breeder and farmer needs and the product concepts
- Proactively collaborate with Inari Intellectual Property partners to evaluate opportunities
- Act as a reference point in wheat at Inari and provide expertise in wheat science and technology to help building capacities, including wheat genetics and genomics, wheat transformation, speed breeding
- Leverage knowledge from other crops as well as apply knowledge from wheat to other cereals
- Leverage your network in the wheat and science community to bring in external advisors if needed, and interact with existing members of the Scientific Advisory community to support your activities
- Contribute to a culture of innovation in support of Inari’s mission to transform plant breeding by pushing the boundaries of what is believed to be possible and promote a culture of prototyping, risk taking and continuous improvement while maintaining a commitment to quality and efficiency
- Communicate to various internal and external stakeholders about the results and progress of the projects you are involved in
- PhD in plant sciences (or equivalent experience in an industry context with a Masters or Bachelors degree)
- A minimum of 5 years of post PhD experience in trait physiology and genetics with focus on wheat or similar experience in a related cereal
- A clear, rational outlook on the challenges in agriculture and willingness to incorporate business strategy into project plans
- Knowledge in wheat breeding
- Strong critical thinking skills and capacity to reduce complex problems into tangible action plans
- Project Management experience with a proven record in planning, executing and completing technical projects on time
- Committed team builder and collaborator with demonstrated ability to contribute to a cross functional team
- Ability to interact and manage relationships with external partners, to efficiently achieve objectives in a win-win spirit
- Track record of driving innovation through a willingness to explore, take risks, fail and learn
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal with the ability to manage through influence, and communicate to diverse stakeholders and audiences including the general public