About the role...
This is a great opportunity for a Soybean/Corn Breeding Research Associate to join our growing Product Development team and help us expand our breeding and field testing capabilities. The primary function of this position is to assist the Corn Breeding Lead in day-to-day operations of all aspects of breeding and research efforts for corn including planting, harvesting field trials, seed preparation, nursery pollinations, leading pollination crew, maintenance of research fields and small equipment. The position is based at our research station located in West Lafayette, Indiana.
As a Soybean/Corn Breeding Research Associate, you will...
- Assist with all aspects of field research including seed packaging, planting, plot maintenance, data collection, experimental design, and harvesting
- Assist with efforts to identify and select important and diverse corn germplasm to bring added value into our product portfolio
- Assist with pollinating corn breeding nurseries and leading pollination crew
- Assist with trait integration breeding program
- Purchase and maintain inventory of supplies used in research program
- Supervise and train temporary employees, and ensure a safe working environment
- B.S. or M.S. degree in plant breeding, crop science, agronomy, horticulture, or related field
- Knowledge of corn breeding and trait integration
- Knowledge of crop production, field research, and plant phenotyping
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to achieve team goals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting and harvesting seasons in a variety of weather conditions; able to lift 50 pounds
- A positive and entrepreneurial attitude. Ability to challenge the status quo to spark improved strategies, methods, and practices in a fast-paced startup environment
- Energy, self-motivation, ownership and focused execution.
- Curiosity; desire to continuously learn and have a meaningful impact.
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks.
- A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
- Plant breeding knowledge and experience with corn and/or row crop breeding and production
- Knowledge of trait integration breeding in corn
- Pesticide applicator license (or ability to obtain)
- Experience with PRISM and Google Suites
- Working knowledge of statistics and experimental designs
- Knowledge of corn germplasm