About the role….
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Plant Scientist to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Scientist you will be responsible for designing, implementing, hands-on executing, and coordinating tasks and scientific projects with a focus on plant biology.
This position is a lab-based role for hands-on work to efficiently and methodically plan, execute and coordinate experimental work. You will ensure experiments are executed efficiently and correctly and milestones are met on time. The right candidate enjoys a “start-up” atmosphere and is well organised, flexible, shows good judgment, takes initiative and is willing to take on a variety of tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team.
We offer you a challenging job in an exciting environment. You will be part of a growing and innovative company, driven by a strong purpose of transforming the plant breeding industry. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team and have the possibility to grow in your role through continuous learning. You will be challenged to take initiative, contributing to the success of the company. We offer you a competitive compensation package commensurate with your skill and experience.
As a Plant Scientist, you will...
- The (senior) Scientist will be responsible for designing, implementing, hands on executing and coordinating scientific tasks and activities.
- Coordinate lab experiments performed by research assistants and perform research activities if necessary some of which may include: vector design and construction for multiple projects on a regular basis, cell culture and plasmid DNA preparation tasks, diverse molecular analyses (PCR genotyping, sequencing analysis, qPCR, Western blot), plant transformation and cultivation, greenhouse activities, and phenotyping
- Train and instruct lab personnel in specific technical experimental protocols.
- Collaborate with Research Assistants and other Scientists to execute scientific experiments related to one or more projects
- Manage third party collaborations
- Scout for new technologies and partners
- Maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensible records of all experiments and results
- Interpret and analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations
- (co-)Develop new scientific project proposals
- Communicate results in written and oral presentations
- PhD or equivalent experience with at least 10 years after a master in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related field is required
- Post-doctoral research, training, and experience
- Knowledge of and experience with crop biology and plant biotechnology is essential.
- Demonstrated scientific leadership to independently design, implement, coordinate and drive to successful outcomes scientific projects
- Expertise in plant/crop physiology
- Knowledge and experience with genetics and genome editing technologies
- Strong record of independent research supported by peer-reviewed publications and/or patents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills adapted to the needs of the target audience
- Ability to thrive and deliver results on goals in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly multi-tasking environment
- Pro-active, highly motivated and strong team player with a high degree of independence
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Experience in the industry
- Experience with people management
- Knowledge of (crop) plant & cell transformation techniques