About the role….
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and pro-active Junior Research Associate to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Junior Research Associate you will support other RAs and wet lab scientists in the lab and greenhouses. These activities will range from preparing media, basic tissue culture and plant care.
This position is a lab-based role for hands-on work to efficiently and methodically execute experimental work. You will ensure experiments are executed efficiently and correctly. The right candidate enjoys a “start-up” atmosphere and is flexible, shows good judgment, takes initiative and is willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team.
As a research associate in lab and greenhouse support you will….
- Support Research Associates and Scientists to execute scientific experiments related to one or more projects
- Perform routine laboratory and greenhouse tasks such as media preparation, inventory management, plant care, plant sampling and transportation
- Sample plant tissues and perform molecular and physiological analyses such as DNA and RNA extractions, PCR, gel electrophoresis
- Support greenhouse activities (crossing, seed clean up, transportation of plants, etc) and plant care
- Maintain a clean working environment
- Maintain detailed and organized records of your work
- Work with colleagues to proactively report problems when they occur and find solutions
- Efficiently organize your tasks on a weekly basis
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2+ years laboratory research experience in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. molecular biology, plant biotechnology, biochemistry)
- Strong motivation to basic and routine tasks (media preparation, plant care, etc)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are essential
- Valid driver's license (B)
- Familiarity with record keeping (electronic lab notebooks)
- Pro-active, highly motivated and dynamic team player
- An efficient and well organized approach to deliver high quality results on time
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback
Additional Desired Skills/Experience...
- Experience with plant work
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with molecular techniques for DNA, RNA and protein analysis in plant systems (e.g. PCR, DNA sequencing, qPCR, bacterial culture, plasmid and genomic DNA and RNA purification)