Research Associate/Senior Research Associate – (Flavor)
We are seeking a driven, adventurous experimentalist to join the flavor team to create delicious foods through a deep understanding of biology and chemistry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creation of delicious foods through a deep understanding of biology and chemistry.
- Deconstruction of chemical mechanisms and biological pathways that generate flavors
- Creation of methods (sensory and analytical) for identification and characterization of aromas and other small molecules.
- Defining the chemical composition of ingredients, including characterization of small molecules in flavor reactions and the compounds’ sensory effects.
- Data analysis of complex data sets and integrating them into databases, working closely with the engineering and informatics teams.
- Acting as a sensory taster, undergoing continuous learning and improvement
- Acting as a collaborative team member and individual contributor
- Working with scientists on the sensory side of flavor experiments, running sensory panels, and identification of sensory references.
Education /Experience /Skills
- BS/MS in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Food Science, or related field.
- 2+ years of research experience
- An experimentalist with a proven track record of innovation and problem solving in multidisciplinary research areas.
- The ideal candidate has research experience in one or many of these areas: sensory science, flavor chemistry, oxidation chemistry, enzymology, protein-small molecule interactions, and lipid-based research.
- Experience with analytical tools such as GC-olfactometry, LC-MS, GC-MS and/or sensory testing is a plus, but can be learned on the job.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and to work effectively with a diverse team of scientists and engineers
- Strong data analysis abilities
- The ability to communicate results and ideas clearly, and listen and received feedback
- High attention to detail and ability to keep an organized lab notebook