- Impossible Foods seeks a highly motivated individual with a strong background in Biochemistry, Chemistry and Food Science. This scientist level position will help build new technologies and products by applying the basic sciences to product development. Impossible Foods is a Silicon Valley startup founded by scientists from Stanford and UC Berkeley with top tier venture backing. We are developing novel technologies to create great new foods from plant-derived ingredients that will transform the world's food production system, greatly reducing its environmental impact and increasing its efficiency and productivity.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Serve in a scientific leadership role contributing to development and commercialization of new product introductions and productivity and quality improvements of existing products.
- Lead problem-solving and trouble-shooting efforts at bench, pilot, and plant scale.
- Design, plan and execute experiments at all scales, gathering and analyzing data, documenting and reporting results, and making recommendations.
- Coordinate product testing including a wide range of analytical testing and sensory studies.
- Develop target design for new products.
- Manage complex technical projects for on-time delivery.
- Manage a team of up to 5 direct reports.
- Interface with all teams to support cross-functional product efforts; Business, Marketing, Quality, Supply, Labeling, Healthy & Safety, Regulatory, Legal.
Education And/Or Experience
- PhD in Biochemistry, Materials Science, Chemistry, Food Science, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- 6 -15 years of industrial experience in the food industry.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong technical and project management skills with results orientation
- Knowledge and experience with ingredient functionality, product design and formulation, and commercialization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to effectively communicate to all levels within the organization
- Ability to effectively influence others and get results through working with a diverse team
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage complexity
- Executional excellence, personal leadership, time management, organizing, and problem solving competencies
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to move with a changing environment
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally, building strong relationships across R&D, Engineering, Marketing, Finance, Sourcing, Quality, Manufacturing, and External Teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Determination to find the best solution for the needed applications
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions
- Passion for food and the environment