Impossible Foods is leading the way to a sustainable global food system. We are developing transformative new technologies to produce great plant-based foods that outperform existing meat and dairy products in taste and nutrition, at a lower cost and with a much lower impact on the global environment. Impossible Foods was conceived and founded by a prominent Stanford professor and is backed by top-tier VCs and visionaries with track records of creating new global industries.
Currently we are a medium sized start-up in a transition to more structured environment. The majority of our staff is involved into cutting edge R&D work and our culture is open, positive and collaborative. It requires high level of independence but it also offers exceptional opportunities for professional growth.
Analytical Chemistry group is an integral part of the company which interacts with multiple team in R&D, particularly Flavor team. We are looking for a full time senior research associate with a strong background in analytical chemistry of volatile compounds who would work on cross-functional interface of Analytical and Flavor teams. Currently we have three GC/MS instruments for analysis of volatile aromas and the lab is growing.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible for analytical instrumentation and methods for volatiles performing method development and validation, development of documentation and recommendations, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting, training of new users and support of ongoing projects primarily with Flavor team with considerable research opportunities.
Education And/Or Experience
- BS or MS in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field.
- 3-5 years of working experience in GC-MS analysis of small compounds (food or beverage experience is a plus including GCO)
- Hands on with GC-MS maintenance and operation. Experience with management of analytical lab (service calls and contracts, ordering, new instrument installation etc) is desired.
- Strong working knowledge of sample preparation, extraction and introduction methods particularly for analysis of volatiles (Headspace, SPME)
- Strong technical experience with method development, particularly with qualitative and quantitative multi-residue analysis. Ideally this would include development of complex custom calibration and reference standards as well as custom GC/MS libraries. Experience with pipetting robots, and other lab automation is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of GC/MS data interpretation (identification, quantification) including screening and analysis of unknowns.
- Knowledge of LECO and Gerstel hardware and software is a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to independently troubleshoot instrumentation and method problems
- Ability to maintain high quality of instrumental data output using various strategies to reduce measurement error.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently and within a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to details
- Strong oral and written communication skills particularly while maintaining records, communicating essential information to managers and training junior staff
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects