Impossible Foods is developing transformative new technologies to produce plant-based foods that outperform existing meat and dairy products in taste and nutrition, at a lower cost and with a much lower impact on the global environment. We have ambitious goals and are seeking out only the most creative and innovative scientists and engineers to solve the most significant challenges in the foods industry today-to replace the farm animal.
Currently, we are a fast-growing start-up and we are building out all our teams from manufacturing, R&D and Business. The majority of our staff is involved in cutting edge R&D work and our culture is open, positive and collaborative. It requires high level of independence but it also offers exceptional opportunities for professional growth.
The Materials and Texture group is an integral part of the company with the mission of developing novel structured materials for use in food, developing materials characterization techniques and supporting product development. Our research is inspired by the complexity of structure and behavior of animal-based food, and not restrained by limitations of existing food technology. Developing new technologies to transform plant proteins into meat structure is essential for the success of this company.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
We seek an exceptional full-time research associate, with a strong background in material science, physics, physical chemsitry, chemical engineering, protein biochemistry or food science. The candidate’s responsibilities will include creating new foods, characterising food materials and understanding the sensoral preception of these novel foods. Preferred candidate will have some experience characterizing materials (eg. rheology, microscopy) and/or expereince with protein characterisation and purification.
- An innovative problem-solver who works well in teams with a strong track record of success in scientific problem solving
- Comfort applying his/her skills to the development of a new technology
- Ability to apply principles of fundamental science to food materials to understand how to build foods from the top-down and bottom-up approaches
- Critically evaluate complex experimental data and design follow-up experiments
- Work effectively with a diverse, multidisciplinary team
- Communicate results, challenges and opportunities both verbally and in writing
- Excellent presentation skills to report work in company-wide or team meetings
Skills and abilities
- Strong experimentalist skills are required.
- Must be comfortable and enjoy working in busy laboratory enviroment where the candidate will be spending 75-90 % of their time.
- Must be proficient with spreadsheet (Excel) software. Experience with electronic laboratory notebooks. Python knowledge is preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Strong written communication skills to report completed work in laboratory journal, instrument logs and analytical reports.
- Excellent presentation skills to report work in company-wide or team meetings.
- Must be a self starter who can work independently and within a team environment
Education AND/Or Experience
The qualified candidate will have a BS or MS in Material Science, Physics, Physcial Chemistry, Food Science or Chemical Engineering and 1+ years of laboratory experience involving material characterisation/ protein purification and characterisation.