Want to help solve the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced by joining the most exciting and important endeavor in the world today? Then Impossible Foods is the place for you.
People around the world love to eat meat, fish, and dairy products and demand is growing faster than the world’s population. At the same time, the system we use to produce these foods is destroying the planet. Animal farming is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector; occupies almost half of Earth’s ice-free land; consumes and pollutes more of the world’s dwindling supply of fresh water than any other industry; and is by far the leading threat to biodiversity.
Impossible Foods was founded 5 years ago to solve this dilemma by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand without the destructive environmental impact. Our first product appeared in the market in 2016.
We’re looking for a Plant Engineer to support Manufacturing in our Oakland Facility. Come work with us to change the course of history.
The Plant Engineer has the overall responsibility for the manufacturing processes and their control. Establish and implement cost savings objectives for process improvements including Safety and Quality. These responsibilities are to be carried out in a manner which stresses safety, yields quality product, efficiently uses labor and materials and is consistent with company policies, customer service and plant objectives. Works closely with the Safety, Quality, Production, and Maintenance departments. The Plant Engineer will need to assure compliance with all regulatory requirements, plant reliability, troubleshoot bottlenecks in operation, drive equipment design solutions to operating challenges, and lead continuous improvement programs for improved plant performance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs and executes project management and engineering duties, including but not limited to equipment specification, design, construction, and maintenance of equipment and machinery.
- Responsible for the efficient operation of all electrical, refrigeration and steam utilities to ensure that facilities and continue to operate within desired cost effective parameters.
- Provide direction in all engineering/ mechanical systems, new installations, repairs, overhauls, modifications upgrade of all production and support equipment.
- Responsible for development and execution of the capital project budget and plans. Executes and provides oversee project development and post approval project management.
- Reviews and develops plants construction and engineering standards.
- Identify research, recommend and design new equipment technologies.
- Establishes standards and policies for regulatory compliance, testing, operating procedures, inspection and maintains plant equipment, assets and buildings.
- Partner with EHS (Environmental Health and Safety) on safety and ergonomic requirements to all equipment and layouts.
- Maintains accurate and up to date technical drawings and documentation on all plants equipment, process systems and facility.
- Utilize continuous improvement tools and lean tools to achieve KPI targets. Other targets as assigned.
Performance of the Plant in meeting identified responsibilities is evaluated on the following measures:
- Compliance on all applicable regulatory programs.
- Improvement in Mean Time between Failures (MTBF). And Overall equipment effectiveness (OEE)
- Relationship with operating and maintenance partners.
- Meeting budgetary requirements.
- Timely distribution of metrics and reports.
- Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Chemical Engineering Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in the area of Food or Pharmaceutical manufacturing and packaging.
- 5 to 10-years of Plant Engineering experience desired.
- Ability to produce mass balances for Manufacturing and Packaging systems.
- Knowledge in the area of Overall Equipment Effectiveness, its calculation and methods for improvement including Lean, TPM or 6σ tools.
- Ability to train others on OEE, Lean, TPM or 6σ tools.
- Capital Management Skills including an understanding of the Capital Planning and CapEx implementation.
- Testing Management Skills.
- Strong Microsoft Office® Product Skills, including Microsoft Project®.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations.
- Working knowledge of Process Safety Management.
- Good computer knowledge (Microsoft Office, Excel, Access general application)
- A good understanding of the statistical analysis of data
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- Strong Mechanical/Electrical background is necessary. Refrigeration experiences a plus.
- Should have good written and verbal communications skills and have demonstrated the ability to be approachable and tactful.
- Good organizational skills. Demonstrated cross functional organization and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write and provide simple and accurate instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to read standard blueprints, machine and process drawings. Have the ability to sketch or redline existing drawings.
- Can manage multiple priorities or projects simultaneously and keep them progressing to completion.
- Must comply with company safety policy at all times with a focus on Safety First.
- Must follow company GMP policy.
- Manufacturing plant: This is an industrial food manufacturing environment with many types of equipment and processes to create our product. Production operations are up to 365 days per year as production demands.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, continuous operating environment.
- Personal Protective Equipment Requirements
- Some lifting, pushing or pulling required, 50 – 75 lbs. (or higher with assistance).