Essential Duties And Responsibilities
The intern will characterize chemical composition of common foods and food ingredients using various separation and spectroscopic techniques and methods including LC/MS, HPLC and GC/MS. Considerable level of independence is required, particularly in design and execution of experiment. Experiments to be reported in lab notebook with necessary level of details and the summary of internship will be reported in a company wide exit presentation.
Education And/Or Experience
• BS degree in Chemistry or relevant field is required; MS or PhD desired.
• Laboratory experience in chemical analysis, particularly compound characterization by spectroscopic techniques (MS, NMR, IR), and separation and isolation by extraction and chromatography
• Experience with processing data based on chemical structures or spectral data is a plus
• Prior experience with characterization of foods, natural products or drug metabolites is a plus
• Prior experience of carrying out complex projects to completion within a short time frame is a plus
Skills & Abilities
• Understands basic principles of chemistry and applies them to develop and improve methods of compound separation, isolation and purification
• Independently designs, refines, performs, and troubleshoots experiments to follow an outline of project plan defined by a supervisor
• Driven to execute defined projects to completion
• Strong time management skills to maintain focus and efforts on experiments most critical for overall project success
• Quickly learns new experimental techniques, instrumentation and software data analysis tools
• Strong communication skills to work with a diverse group of scientists across multiple teams
• Strong presentation skills to report performed work in weekly group meeting and large company meeting