Impossible Foods is leading the way to a sustainable global food system. We are developing transformative new technologies to produce great plant-based foods that outperform existing meat and dairy products in taste and nutrition, at a lower cost and with a much lower impact on the global environment. Impossible Foods was conceived and founded by a prominent Stanford professor and is backed by top-tier VCs and visionaries with track records of creating new global industries.
Currently we are a medium sized start-up in a transition to more corporate environment. The majority of our staff is involved into cutting edge R&D work and our culture is open, positive and collaborative. It requires high level of independence but it also offers exceptional opportunities for professional growth.
Analytical Chemistry group is an integral part of the company which interacts with multiple team in R&D, product development, and manufacturing particularly in method development for Quality Control
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Isolation of compounds with particular sensory or other properties from food ingredients and plants using techniques ranging from solvent extraction to GC and HPLC column fractionation
- Structure elucidation of isolated compounds using LC/MS, GC/MS, NMR, IR and crystallography
- Contribute to development of sensory assays to link analytical and sensory data from GC and HPLC separations
- Coordinate integration of sensory and analytical data
- Develop and maintain safety standards and regulations for sensory test of chemically isolated fractions
- Perform chemical analysis to determine what changes on molecular level in manufacturing processes. Help to troubleshoot manufacturing processes. Contribute to development of novel effective manufacturing processes that remove undesirable components or retain desirable one.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of LC/MS, GC/MS and HPLCs.
- Supervise RA's and Mentor junior team members
Education And/Or Experience
- PhD in Natural Product Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Phytochemistry, Toxicology or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience isolating and characterizing molecules from natural sources (plants, microorganisms, marine organisms etc) using column fractionation (GC or/and HPLC)
- Proven track record of success using structure characterization methods including NMR, mass spectrometry, crystallography and optical spectroscopy to determine identity of isolated compounds.
- Experience with bioassays or sensory assays.
- Successful collaborative experience across teams or customers with no or little analytical background (e.g. fermentation, manufacturing, product development)
- Experience with manufacturing scale processes (membrane filtration, centrifugation etc) is a plus
- Experience with lab and/or food safety is a plus
Skills & Abilities
- Chemistry mindset with fundamental understanding of molecular structures, their properties and their transformations. Combination of analytical chemistry and organic chemistry skill set is desired.
- Scientific mindset to understand and solve complex problems, ask questions and develop experiments to verify conclusions.
- Excellent collaborative skills to work across multiple teams
- Strong organizational skills to independently plan method development projects and execute them on time
- Strong written communication skills to report completed work in laboratory journal, instrument logs and analytical reports
- Excellent communication skills to explain chemistry to non-chemists in simple terms and friendly manner and to communicate feedback to junior staff and supervisor
- Excellent presentation skills to report work in company-wide or team meetings
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior staff is a plus