We are seeking a driven, adventurous experimentalist to join the flavor team to develop new ways of transforming plant flavors to replicate the flavors of animal products, through understanding the underlying chemistry. The ideal candidate has research experience in one or many of these areas: natural product fractionation, reaction flavor chemistry, oxidation chemistry, enzymology, and/or lipid-based research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creation of delicious foods through a deep understanding of biology and chemistry.
- Deconstruction of chemical mechanisms and biological pathways that generate flavors.
- Creation of defined flavor profiles using natural processes.
- Defining the chemical composition of foods, including development of new methods to fractionate molecules and characterize their roles in flavor reactions and their sensory effect.
- Data analysis of large and complex data sets and integrating them into databases, working closely with the engineering and informatics teams.
- Acting as a sensory taster, undergoing continuous learning and improvement
- Acting as a collaborative team member, mentor, and individual contributor, and managing relationships across the organization.
Education and Experience
- MS/PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- 6+ years of research experience
- An experimentalist with a proven track record of innovation and problem solving in multidisciplinary research areas.
- Experience with the transformation of small molecules in complex systems: functional characterization, identification, and pathway reconstruction.
- The ideal candidate has research experience in one or many of these areas: natural product fractionation, reaction flavor chemistry, oxidation chemistry, enzymology, and lipid-based research.
- Strong knowledge of oxidation, free-radical, and organometallic chemistry is very helpful
- Experience with analytical tools such as GC-olfactometry, LC-MS, GC-MS and/or sensory testing is a plus but can be learned on the job.
- Experience with analyzing large datasets, mathematical modeling, and integrating data into databases is highly beneficial.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and to work effectively with a diverse team of scientists and engineers
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to move with a changing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills