Impossible Foods seeks a highly motivated individual with a background in molecular biology, strain engineering, protein expression and purification. This scientist level position will help guide recombinant protein expression efforts and work collaboratively with other Research and Development teams. Impossible Foods is a Silicon Valley startup founded by scientists from Stanford and UC Berkeley with top tier venture backing. We are developing novel technologies to create great new foods from plant-derived ingredients that will transform the world's food production system, greatly reducing its environmental impact and increasing its efficiency and productivity.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Develop platforms for recombinant expression of proteins to meet a variety of research needs.
- Design and execute experiments to clone, express, and purify proteins from recombinant hosts, including expression optimization and purification process development.
- Provide in spec purified recombinant proteins to other teams.
- Work effectively in a diverse, multidisciplinary work environment.
- Timely communication of progress and results across teams.
Education And/Or Experience
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, or related fields (preferred 2+ years of industrial or post-graduate academic laboratory experience) OR 5+ years of industrial experience in molecular biology and protein expression and purification.
- Extensive molecular biology experience.
- Optimization of recombinant protein expression in bacteria and yeast.
- Experience with high-throughput techniques and method development including liquid handling, microbial growth and screening.
- Extensive protein purification experience.
- Proficient in protein analytics
Language, Mathematical, And/OR Reasoning Ability
- Hard working self-motivated individual with excellent quantitative skills, good organization and record-keeping skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Maintain an accurate and up to date electronic lab notebook
- Attention to detail, fast learner, and ability to work well with interdisciplinary teams.
- Ability to persevere through obstacles through determination and teamwork.
- Creative and strong problem solving ability