The Dowstream Processing group is an integral part of the company, which interacts with multiple teams, particularly Engineering, Protein Discovery, Analytics, Strain Development, and Fermentation. We are looking for a full time research associate or senior research associate with a strong background in protein biochemistry, protein purification, and protein analytics. This is a hands-on bench position that will juggle both individual and collaborative projects.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Develop commercial protein isolation processes from new production organisms at lab-scale. Facilitate tech transfer to pilot-scale
- Collaborate with pilot engineers to design and execute scale-up and scale-down experiments to further optimize the processes
- Troubleshoot and develop scale-down models for existing commercial processes
- Characterize the DNA and protein content of new production organisms
- Optimize final formulation and perform shelf life studies
- Develop new methods, design and execute experiments, and interpret results
- Maintain an accurate and up to date electronic lab notebook
- Formal presentations to other team members every 3 months
- Other duties as assigned
Education And/Or Experience
- BS, or MS in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, or related fields with 2+ years of industrial or academic laboratory experience post graduation.
- Extensive protein purification experience.
- Experience working with different types of resins.
- Proficient in writing methods and executing runs on Akta FPLC using Unicorn software. Experience in column packing is a plus.
- Proficient in total protein assays, SDS-PAGE, western blot, and UV-vis analysis.Mass spec experience is a plus.
- Experience executing complex experiments with multiple variables and a high number of samples.
- Experience in tangential flow filtration is a plus.
Language, Mathematical, And/OR Reasoning Ability
- Hard working self-motivated individual with excellent quantitative skills, good organization and record-keeping skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, fast learner, and ability to work well with interdisciplinary teams.
- Ability to persevere through obstacles through determination and teamwork.
- Creative and strong problem solving ability
- Proficient in excel. Additional programming skills is a plus.