Do you want to be part of an exciting scientific and business endeavor dedicated to solving the greatest challenge humanity faces? Then Impossible Foods is the place for you.
People around the world love to eat meat, fish, and dairy products and demand is growing even faster than the world’s population. But the system we use to produce these foods is destroying the planet. Animal farming is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, occupies almost half of Earth’s ice-free land, consumes and pollutes more of the world’s dwindling supply of fresh water than any other industry and is by far the leading threat to biodiversity.
Impossible Foods was founded 5 years ago to solve this problem by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand without the destructive environmental impact. Our first product is currently available at Momofuku Nishi in New York, Crossroads Kitchen in L.A., and in San Francisco at both Cockscomb and Jardinière.
We have ambitious plans for growth in 2017 and the Culinary Manager will play a key role in our marketing and sales team. He or she will work closely with our restaurant partners and be the go-to person for establishing and maintaining our culinary standards internally as well as externally. He or she will report directly to our Director of Marketing.
The ideal candidate:
- Is able to learn about, understand and communicate a unique product
- Has experience teaching/training in a culinary environment
- Is a humble and hands-on team player who is comfortable conducting tasks at all kitchen levels. We’re a growing company and we all wear many hats.
- Has worked in restaurants (ideally both chain and independent restaurants)
- Is a people-person who is excited to talk to people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences
- Is passionate about hospitality and the opportunity to develop high quality hospitality standards for the company
- Has an eye for presentation and setting up high-caliber culinary events
- Has a strong point of view on culinary standards
- Is a great writer with experience writing articles and recipes
- Has experience hosting live cooking events and feels comfortable cooking and speaking in front of an audience.
- Has his or her own transportation for running errands and supporting occasional off-hours needs.
- Lives close enough to our headquarters in Redwood City to be able to react to the rare but important emergency business needs
- Has a can-do attitude and is willing to do a variety of tasks in our fast-paced start-up environment
- Design and maintain an Impossible Foods culinary program with the mandate to create culinary standards for how our products appear out in the wild and at HQ.
- Develop and maintain written culinary guidelines to be used both internally and externally
- Provide product consulting to our partners, vendors, food-stylists
- Direct and execute culinary program for any events where the Impossible Burger is being served, which may be anything from intimate dinners to high volume trade shows. Catering experience is preferred.
- Perform all tasks related to our culinary program from strategic thinking and planning through execution, errand running and clean up.
- Act as a leader for establishing and cultivating a culinary culture at Impossible Foods across the many functional areas of the company.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to develop and execute a product training program for restaurant customers including a scalable train-the-trainer program. This will require frequent domestic travel.
- Be a representative of our brand, answering questions and engaging at events
- Project-manage the development of a culinary kitchen at headquarters.
- Once built, manage the HQ kitchen, including (but not limited to) maintaining kitchen and equipment, owning prop and product inventory, hosting on-site events, coordinating use of kitchen for marketing and content development, food styling, and sourcing ingredients.
- 4-6 years experience BOH running a kitchen
- Administrative and FOH leadership experience
- Able to travel frequently domestically and occasionally internationally
- Comfortable working on a computer and experience with online inventory management software and/or excel, google docs and word processing.