This position supports and works with the EHS Manager to maintain environmental, health & safety compliance for a food processing facility. The EHS Specialist will help implement and administer safety programs in support of the Impossible Foods Injury and Illness Prevention Program. This position will be responsible for efforts to ensure site compliance with all environmental regulatory requirements.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- This position will be the primary site EHS contact and will collaborate with all employees to pro-actively identify safety risks and provide solutions.
- In support of the Plant Manager, assists with meeting manufacturing plant EHS compliance requirements and reporting.
- Will coordinate and oversee outside vendors for various services provided for safety compliance and environmental regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for physically handling hazardous waste, movement of waste containers to storage, preparing waste for disposal, tracking of data, and assisting with reports.
- Responsible for site safety inspections, safety equipment checks, and using instruments to collect data and evaluate work areas.
- Helps develop programs to train supervisors and employees to meet standards and also to enhance the company safety culture. Will coordinate, schedule, and present all required EHS training for employees and contractors.
- Will track and report progress of safety team activity, area safety audits, and incident investigations.
- Responsible for performing storm water inspections and storm water sampling, as required.
- Assists with annual organization goals according to key metrics (ex- lost time accidents).
- Will lead the Emergency Response Team and participate as an active, fully trained member. May need to respond to facility emergencies at all hours.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Requires a minimum of 5 years Environmental, Health and Safety experience in a food processing or manufacturing environment.
- Must have working knowledge of applicable California safety and environmental regulations as well as other applicable Federal regulations.
- Has an understanding of industry practices and how to implement policies and procedures; can resolve issues in innovative as well as practical ways.
- Must interact positively with employees while maintaining a customer service approach.
- Proficient PC skills including Microsoft Office applications.
- Available to be on call or work off hours as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with attention to detail.
- Strong problem solving skills, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with local regulatory agencies preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and spend a large portion of each shift walking.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- BS in Occupational Health and Safety or experience in a similar role/related field is preferred.
- Previous or current First Aid/CPR/AED certification is required. If not First Aid/CPR/AED certified, certification will be completed after hire.
- Certification or course work in occupational safety related programs is preferred but not required.