Thanks for checking out our job description for a Senior Product Manager - Automated Hotel Marketplace at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just just diving straight in with words like “revolutionising” and “disrupting”.
As such, we apologise in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What is Impala?
Impala is making the process of booking hotel rooms ridiculously easy. We’re providing hotels with a powerful data distribution infrastructure that transforms the way hotel guests across the world browse, book, stay and pay. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched our original API product in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points. This has allowed us to bring forward our ambition to revolutionise the hotel distribution market and help empower millions of people across the globe.
We are a growing remote-first team of exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial who make up a thriving, active, supportive community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the most respected investors in the business, the early-stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago, Monzo, Travelperk, Transferwise, Airbnb, GetYourGuide, Omio, Spotify and more!
They’re on board because of the shared opportunity we have before us - revolutionising a 1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
They also share our vision of a future in which travel is seamlessly connected and relentlessly inventive.
Our vision is that within the next two years 10% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology, and the product that we’re building will support the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team extensively within the next year. Now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to grow and scale, both as a service and a community!
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
Impala is on a mission to become the infrastructure that allows the Travel industry to thrive.
Today, Hotels manage their occupancy by juggling lots of booking sources supplying bookings via all kinds of means. This includes bespoke rates, overbooking volumes, compound commissions and all manner of very manual and repetitive activities.
As part of our mission to become the infrastructure that travel operates upon we want to empower Hotels to control how their rooms are sold and who sells them.
We think Hotels should be able to optimise their occupancy, to dynamically control who books their rooms, at what volume, and at what rates. They should be able to have a clear view of this and ultimately control where their bookings come from.
As Senior Product Manager of Hotel Inventory Marketplace, your job will be to help Impala’s hotel partners to have the final say on how their rooms are sold and who sells them.
Currently (and ridiculously) this simply isn’t the case for millions of hotels across the world. Your job will be to help change that.
You’ll be an industry expert, someone who knows exactly where the Distribution market is going and can conjure up the right resources to answer any partner questions simply and authoritatively in an instant.
This is a totally unique PM role, heading up all of our hotel occupancy optimisation operations, helping our partners get the full picture of booking volume, guest details and rates.
On top of that, you’ll set your department goals, work cross-functionally to keep all of Impala in the loop on current partner projects and, most importantly, show hotel partners exactly how and why we can help.
You should join us if:
- You have product experience working on or launching a marketplace product
- You’re that perfect blend of rational yet creative, persistent yet approachable and data-driven yet instinctive.
- You thrive on diving into seemingly chaotic problems and emerging with clear, actionable insight, (first of all you sound awesome, and second of all we want to meet you!)
- You're someone who can represent the customer in our business; someone who can communicate their concerns, wants and needs in a clear, concise way to engineers and account managers alike.
- You can manage projects with clear set goals that help the Hotel industry advance, while also helping us meet Impala’s broader company goals.
- We’re looking for someone who is experienced in product development and management, has worked in collaboration with engineers, leadership being able to drive delivery, instil urgency, motivate and has been involved on a greenfield product from inception to launch.
If this sounds like you, then we need to talk!
Where will you work?
Our co-located office is based in London. This means you’ll need to be able to travel to central London 2x days a week. Outside of those 2x ‘core’ office days, you’re able to work remotely from home or wherever you please.
We are a remote-first company, with a fully distributed engineering team! This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance and accommodating the best people in Europe, while also fostering diversity.
What you will get in return?
- We reward Impalans with the most competitive salaries and regular reviews. Whether you're an individual contributor or you want to manage people, there are plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and boost your earning potential. We offer 3.5x the average annual UK raise, even if you remain within the same role.
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for the amount of holiday that we offer, at 36 days.
- One Unsick day off per year, to keep up with proactive health admin - so you can finally sort that trip to the dentist and get those health screens that you never have time to do.
- Flexible working options. With extended lunch break options, Recess Hour, and loads more.
- We provide a generous Personalised Workspace Budget for things like monitors, keyboards, laptop stands, and headphones. And you’ll receive a brand new high-spec laptop when you start.
- We invest in your development with a generous £1,000 Professional Development budget per year, and we will support you to realise your potential.
- Fun and inclusive monthly social events, from go-karting to mini golf to karaoke to virtual pub quiz.
- Access to Perkbox.
- A super strong and proactive focus on mental and physical wellbeing. From Vitality health insurance, to Sanctus, to a monthly gym membership reimbursement, plus heaps more.
If your answer is ‘yes’ and you are really excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Then simply watch this video to learn more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.