Thanks for taking a look at the job description for a remote Senior Data Engineer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just throwing you right in there with words like “revolutionizing” and “disrupting”.
As such, we want you to know that the person that wrote this job description apologises in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What is Impala?
Impala makes building travel software incredibly easy. We provide hotels with a powerful data management platform that makes connecting to software, hardware and room distributors extremely easy. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched the product in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
We are a growing team of exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial that have built a fantastic community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the best investors in the business, the early-stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago, Monzo, Travelperk, Transferwise, Airbnb, GetYourGuide, Omio, Spotify and more!
They’re on board because of the opportunity that lies before us - revolutionizing a 1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
They also share our vision of democratising travel and enabling innovation across the industry.
Within the next two years, 25% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology and the product that we’re building will support the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team extensively within the next year. Now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to scale up!
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
- Being the technical authority and core contributor for our data pipelines & services, including significant greenfield projects.
- Ensuring the quality and integrity of data served through our API.
- Ideating, developing and iterating new features with other teams, enabling our technology partners to add value to hotels and travellers.
- Leading and mentoring data engineers, instilling best practice and supporting on career growth.
- Working directly with stakeholders; part and parcel of working in an autonomous, metric-driven development team.
You should join us if:
- You have experience designing, planning and leading the development of data pipelines to meet business needs.
- You have experience managing data services that handle the transfer and storage of large quantities of data, adhering to strict SLA’s.
- You know how to build and manage data models and large datasets, ensuring data integrity/quality.
- You have strong experience with more than one data pipeline toolset & language, able to select the right tool for the job.
- You feel comfortable working closely with product owners, designers, and other stakeholders.
- You are extremely collaborative, Impala’s engineering team is not political, everyone has great ideas and should be open to input. We have no space for brilliant jerks.
- If you have experience working on a productised API, that would be amazing!
Where will you be working?
This is a remote position. This means you can work from anywhere +/- 2 Hours of London, timezone wise (and less than a 3 hour flight).
Our whole engineering team is in fact fully distributed, because we don't want to miss out on incredible new teammates just because they don't live in London.
As part of that:
- We will give you a brand new high-spec laptop when you start, giving you the choice between a Thinkpad or Mac.
- We give you an additional generous Personalised Workspace Budget for things like monitors, keyboards, desk chairs and headphones.
- We offer an office stipend (you can furnish a home office with a generous monthly stipend, or choose a co-working space near you).
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet and socialise with the rest of the engineering team somewhere in Europe.
- You’ll have a generous Social Budget to travel to London based social events. You'll also have a special 'Loved Ones Budget' that we're incredibly proud to offer, we'll tell you more about that when we speak to you!
- We have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, who, amongst other things, will be ensuring you're happy, integrated and empowered whilst working remotely.
Please note, we only accept candidates in Western Europe because of timezone and travel time differences. We make no exceptions (we don’t have time to!).
What you will get in return?
- We reward Impalans with super competitive salaries and regular reviews. Whether you're an individual contributor or you want to manage people, there's plenty of opportunity to develop your skills and boost your earning potential. We offer 3.5x the average annual raise in the UK, even if you remain within the same role.
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for holiday that we offer, at 36 days.
- One Unsick day off per year, to keep up with proactive health admin - so you can finally sort that trip to the dentist and get those health screens that you never have time to do.
- A stipend to set up your ideal place of work. You can choose between the option of £150 per month to build out your home office, or we’ll pay for your membership at a coworking space near you up to £350.
- Truly flexible working. Work remotely, with a budget given to you to set up your workspace in the way you want. We also offer extended lunch break options and loads more. No commutes no more!
- Sustainable growth and career progression opportunities.
- We invest in your development with a generous annual Professional Development budget, and we will support you to realise your potential.
- Fun and inclusive monthly social events, from go-karting to mini golf to karaoke, giving Impalans across Europe the chance to catch up and recharge.
- Access to Perkbox - a platform designed to help you to live a better life by personalising, managing, delivering and measuring the best company perks in real-time.
- A super strong and pro-active focus on mental and physical wellbeing. Our Health and Wellbeing scheme offers Impalans a range of options; from Vitality health insurance to a monthly gym membership reimbursement, plus heaps more.
- You’ll be working somewhere that encourages collaboration, is transparent, has a strong focus on wellbeing. We've got meaningful core values which we don't just pay lip service to.
- A Weekly Recess Hour; take an hour off to step out from work and invest in You Time! Lawn mow, yoga, walk or movie anyone?
- A Social Budget to travel to/from & stay in London for a night, for our monthly Impala Social.
- A generous Loved Ones Budget, to get your friends & family over to visit you once a year, no matter how near or far from home you are based.
- Weekly 20% Time.
If your answer is yes and you are really excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us, and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.