Thanks for taking a look at the job description for Backend Engineer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just throwing you right in there with words like “revolutionizing” and “disrupting”.
As such, we want you to know that the person that wrote this job description apologises in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What is Impala now?
Impala makes building travel software incredibly easy. We provide hotels with a powerful data management platform that makes connecting to software, hardware and room distributors extremely easy. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
We are a team exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial that have built a fantastic community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the best investors in the business, the early stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago and more. They’re on board because of our vision - revolutionizing a $1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
Within the next two years, 25% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology and the product that we’re building will support the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team to 50 people within the next year. So now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to scale up!
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
- Work within one of our agile teams developing Data Acquisition technology or working on our core API platform (team members change team frequently).
- Mentor other team members through pair programming, code reviews, and ad-hoc assistance.
- Work closely with our Product teams to ensure that the technology we’re building is right for the needs and demands of our customers.
- Have significant decision making power on the technologies and architecture that we use to build the platform.
You should join us if:
- You are someone who is comfortable working on greenfield projects, drawing on experience to choose technologies that suit the projects requirements.
- You have knowledge of unit and integration testing tools and techniques.
- Having experience working with AWS, the Elastic Stack, Docker and Git, will be amazing.
- You have experience with SQL and No-SQL databases, (we use PostgreSQL & MongoDB).
Where will you Work?
This is a remote position (all of our engineering team and some of our other staff members are distributed). This means you can work from anywhere +/- 2 Hours of London, timezone wise (and less than a 3 hour flight). As part of that:
- We offer an office stipend (you can furnish a home office or choose a coworking space near you).
- We give you an additional significant start-up equipment budget for things like monitors, keyboards, headphones etc.
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet the rest of the engineering team somewhere in Europe.
- You’ll have a budget to travel to team socials if you’d like to meet everyone in person more frequently.
Please note, we only accept candidates in Western Europe because of timezone and travel time differences. We make no exceptions (we don’t have time to!).
What you will get in return?
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for holiday that we offer, at 36 days.
- We also offer Impalans one Unsick day per year.
- Impala believes that great people should be able to focus on developing mastery of their skills, even if they don’t want to manage people. Here you’ll be able to access 3.5x the average annual raise, even staying in the same role.
- We invest in your development and will support you to realise your potential with our generous Professional Development budget.
- We offer all engineers a Weekly Recess Hour. This is an hour to take off and step out from work and invest in You Time! Lawn mow, yoga, walk or movie anyone?
- We offer an extended lunch break option, meaning you can take an extra hour lunch break, and we trust you to make up for it later in the day.
- We offer a stipend to set up your ideal place of work. You can choose between the option of £150 per month to build out your home office, or we’ll pay for your membership at a coworking space near you up to £350.
- In addition, we give you a special Personalised Workspace Equipment budget for things like monitors, keyboards, headphones or desk chairs.
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet the rest of the team in an engineer colocation week, somewhere in Europe.
- You’ll have a Social Budget to travel to/from & stay in London for a night, for our monthly Impala Social.
- You’ll have a generous Friend & Family Budget, to get your close friends and family over once a year.
- We’ll organise socials around your area with other remote workers.
- We have a Health & Wellbeing scheme in place, offering you the option of a monthly gym membership reimbursement each month, or a health food voucher each month; access to Headspace; Vitality health insurance (UK only); plus the chance to win a massage monthly. Plus loads more.
- Perkbox. A platform designed to help you to live a better life by personalising, managing, delivering and measuring the best company perks in real-time.
- You’ll be working somewhere that encourages collaboration, is transparent, has a strong focus on wellbeing, and doesn’t just pay lip service to it’s Core Values.
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.
If your answer is yes and you are really excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us, and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM