When roots are strong, it shows.
The Product Development Manager is responsible for the product innovation pipeline for multiple brands, from product conception to final formula. The candidate should have a strong understanding and passion for multiple types of products, including hair and skin care, thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and work well with cross-functional teams. The role will report to the Director of Product Development and Clinical Affairs. This is an exciting opportunity to work on multiple products across categories.
- Manage and execute the product development and production cycle from inception through production.
- Spearhead lab and fragrance briefs and closely communicate with cross functional partners on sample approval process and production timelines.
- Participate in ideation, development, and commercialization projects.
- Direct in-house laboratory and manufacturer in formulation and approval process to maintain on time launches.
- Manage and maintain files and documentation for product testing and safety, production stability, and other support validation.
- Support cross-functional departments with robust product information deck with formulations, ingredients, usage, benefits, claims, etc in a timely manner.
- Maintain a high degree of competitive knowledge in the hair and skincare category, keeping current with new ingredients, claims, and technologies.
- Drive clinical testing process via scheduling and managing logistics of clinical testing as needed to support marketing claims.
- Develop strong working relationships with cross functional teams to ensure development meets brand aesthetic.
- Track project management timelines, keeping all relevant stakeholders informed of changes and deliverables.
- Ensure regulatory compliance of formulas and claims within the international markets and countries where the products are distributed.
- Manage ongoing development plans and product life cycle with Marketing and Operations teams.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing, Sales, and Creative departments to develop product copy and artwork.
- Maintain quality standards during pilot, line trial, and batch approvals and implement corrective actions when needed.
- Track all project formula expenses in the PD budget.
- Identify, create and manage relationships with new and existing ingredient and packaging partners.
- BA/BS preferred
- 3-5+ years related experience working in cosmetic product development, preferably hair care and/or skincare.
- Exceptional tactile/aesthetic/olfactive product evaluation skills.
- Experience in clinical testing planning.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment, manage multiple projects at the same time, and set priorities.
- Stay on top of the latest beauty and lifestyle trends and find opportunities for new products, ideas, and testing.
- Outstanding organization, follow-through and attention to detail.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Highly flexible and responsive with ability to effectively manage multiple, changing priorities, and capable of troubleshooting and presenting solutions.
- Strong understanding of product development, consumer interests and beauty trends.
- Ideally based in New Jersey or able to commute.
Nice to have
- Formulation chemist experience.
- Prestige skin care and hair experience.
- Experience in translating high science into consumer-friendly language.
- Experience with clean/green formulations and passion for sustainability practices.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits
- Competitive 401(k) match with immediate vesting
- Paid time off (Vacation, Sick, Holiday, Summer Fridays)
- Daily subsidized meals
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
iLABS (Innovation Labs) Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.