The Assistant Buyer is responsible for selecting, negotiating, procuring, strategically pricing, promoting and developing brands/products in assigned categories. This role is the first step in the buying progression and is responsible for making buying and pricing decisions for lower volume accounts in addition to supporting category teams.
- Negotiate with vendors to secure exceptional everyday pricing, promotional dollars, rebates, growth incentives, delivery and payment terms
- Administer and manage RFQ packages, execution of contracts, product evaluation, quality issues; create and maintain supplier, product database
- Drive new product/brand onboarding process to ensure timely and quick addition to market
- Build, edit and maintain assortment to create market advantage while reflecting customer needs/requests
- Calculate, maintain and approve critical cost and pricing changes in system to ensure desired mark-ups, margin
- Manage and develop strong vendor relations through regular and consistent communication to ensure clear understanding of short/long-term goals and capabilities
- Coordinate with Planning Team and Replenishment Buyers in managing inventory turns, service level, order cycles, deal implementation and general supply chain practices
- Create, review and utilize reports to enable in-depth analysis of category successes/challenges
- Develop promotional co-op activities that are profitable and highly effective in conjunction with Marketing
- Solve and respond to customer concerns from Customer Service team
- Provide support to Category Managers and other Buyers on projects and day-to-day activities
- Comply with company policies and procedures, including safety, business ethics, and standards of conduct
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Developing and beginner level negotiating skills
- Strong analytical, data management and decision making abilities
- Strong mathematical skills with understanding of retail pricing concepts
- Ability to communicate written and verbally in a professional manner with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Great attention to detail, highly organized with strong project management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, problem solve and prioritize with awareness of deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Google Business Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms) preferred
- WMS, EDI, NetSuite experience a plus
Generally, requires a minimum of one (1) to two (2) years of progressive experience in buying or directly related role with equivalent responsibilities, preferably in an e-commerce environment with natural products experience a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field preferred, or a combination of education and equivalent work experience.
Judgment/Reasoning Ability: Able to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise and diplomacy. Ability to use judgment and reasoning skills, and determine when to escalate issues, as required, in a timely manner.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk and hear. The Team Member is frequently required to sit, walk, climb stairs, use hands and fingers, bend, stoop and reach with hands and arms. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. The Team Member may occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 25 pounds. Proper lifting techniques required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The noise in the work environment is usually moderate. Other factors are:
- Hectic, fast-paced with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual work environment
- Office / Warehouse environment
- Ability to work extended hours as required
At iHerb we strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.