The Director of Merchandising/Purchasing is responsible for developing and executing strategies as they relate to product, pricing, promotions and vendor relations while fostering continued growth in these key categories. This includes but is not limited to sourcing product, pricing analysis, supplier negotiations, optimization of key, high volume brands, and identifying cost saving opportunities.
- Establish and maintain measurable performance metrics for margin, pricing, stages of product life cycle and promotions while ensuring a keen focus on consistent and continuous improvement
- Manage and build vendor relationships with emphasis on high-volume brands for increased partnership and win-win outcome
- Cultivate, direct and support seasoned purchasing managers and buying team; enabling them to further develop and grow assigned category with tools for success
- Build and maintain an overall vendor base which creates and sustains a competitive advantage and appropriate product assortment for the Natural and Organic market
- Source, develop and promote trending categories, brands and items in the market for additional growth opportunities
- Partner with the Planning and Inventory Management team on special buys, promotions, supplier agreements and in ensuring suppliers provide optimum product flow, appropriate inventory levels and in stock position for positive customer experience
- Manage and coordinate brand & product promotions in conjunction with suppliers, buyers and Marketing team
- Develop and coordinate merchandising initiatives and directives in conjunction with Product, Content and Marketing teams as it relates to website placement and presentation
- Lead and coordinate in conjunction with other departments specifically BI, Planning and Operations on strategies to improve supply chain efficiencies and ensure cost-cutting measures are in place as relates to Purchasing for greater company profitability
- Comply with company policies and procedures, including safety, business ethics, and standards of conduct
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts within the company to achieve objectives
- Data analysis and pricing strategy background
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, with awareness of deadlines, in a fast-paced business environment
- Ability to identify processes needing improvement, and to recommend improvements
- Strong negotiation skills, influencing abilities and relationship management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Technical aptitude and agility to learn new tools
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Google Business Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms) preferred
Generally requires a minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years progressive experience in Purchasing with extensive experience in an e-commerce environment, preferably in a strategic setting in a mid to large size organization.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Supply Chain preferred or a combination of direct experience and/or education is required.
Judgment/Reasoning Ability: Able to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise and diplomacy. Ability to use judgment and reasoning skills, and determine when to escalate issues, as required, in a timely manner.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk and hear. The Team Member is frequently required to sit, walk, climb stairs, use hands and fingers, bend, stoop and reach with hands and arms. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. The Team Member may occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 25 pounds. Proper lifting techniques required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The noise in the work environment is usually moderate. Other factors are:
- Hectic, fast-paced with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual work environment
- Office / Warehouse environment
- Ability to work extended hours as required
At iHerb we strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.