As a senior developer, you are a member of an empowered, high-performing, cross-functional team delivering cloud-based solutions for world-class, aviation maintenance SaaS products. Your effort directly contributes to reliable and predictable aircraft maintenance for customers such as: BAE Systems, Southwest Airlines, Qantas and KLM. You will build on your previous experience in delivering cloud applications, while growing in new areas – working with other developers, testers, writers and a dedicated product owner to:
- Develop high quality, well tested software that can be frequently deployed
- Decide how to build the best solution for our customers
- Experiment with new practice and technologies that make your team and product even more awesome
- Mentor team members in your areas of expertise
- Learn new things and deepen the mastery of your craft
IFS Aerospace and Defense R&D is an Agile shop that has thoughtfully designed a space that facilitates both collaborative and solitary work. Each Squad is well equipped with moveable and fixed whiteboards for working on designs, a large common screen for pairing or mobbing, plus your own work area when you need solo time. Our teams self-organize and choose a process that is right for them – most are currently using Kanban. All work is done in the Squad area – there’s no need to pick up and move to a meeting room to plan the work, solve problems, or do a daily standup.
We strive to create an environment of continuous learning where you drive your own professional development with monthly personal or squad learning days, semi-annual R&D-wide learning day events, and weekly learning guild meetings. You can also participate in our very popular mentorship program as a mentor, mentee, or both!
You’ll be using technology like …
- Java 8, HTML, CSS, JS, SQL
- AngularJS, Guice, JOOQ, JAX-RS, Swagger
- Docker, AWS, Gradle, Maven, Selenium
- Eclipse, IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code
- New frameworks and tools are being adding to our development stack … we welcome your suggestions
We need people who …
- Value open, honest, constructive communication
- Are willing to work collaboratively with people with varying levels of experience
- Will step outside of their job description to do what is in the best interest of the team
- Are committed to quality
- Have a passion for experimentation and making things better
- Thrive on learning and sharing knowledge
We’re looking for people with …
- A College Diploma or University Degree with a specialization in software development and engineering and/or equivalent knowledge gained through other means
- More than 5 years experience working as a software developer, with at least 3 years developing multi-tenant, cloud-first SaaS applications
- Solid Java or similar object-oriented language skills
- Knowledge of effective design patterns
- Experience with PostgreSQL or related relational databases
- Previous experience with cloud platforms like AWS and Azure, and associated tooling
- An understand of how to work in a frequent deployment environment using Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practices and tools
It would also be nice if you have….
- Some experience with RESTful APIs and integrations between systems
- Used automated test frameworks
- Advanced debugging/analytical skills (memory management, performance, concurrency)
- An understanding microservice patterns
- Knowledge of and experience with NoSQL databases
- Understand how to build secure software
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to build a career in an innovative and dynamic organization, submit your resume by Applying for this Job below.
We welcome applications from all interested candidates, however only these selected for an interview will be contacted. IFS is an equal opportunity employer and accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you have a disability, please contact one of the Talent Acquisition Specialists to let us know how we can accommodate you
Flexibility and fun
In addition to a great work space and interesting products to work on, IFS offers flexible working hours, the ability to work from home, a comprehensive benefits package and RRSP matching. We’re also very proud of our corporate social responsibility programs. We give you time to volunteer for a cause that’s important to you. You can join us at the Ottawa Food Bank or a Habitat for Humanity build, or you can spend your time with an organization of your choosing.
At IFS, we care about your wellbeing. You’ll have a variety of options for staying active – we have yoga, kettlebell classes, beach volleyball, hockey, soccer, softball and more! Our Kanata South office is next to the Trans Canada Trail, offering great options for lunch time walks, and is within walking distance of several restaurants and shops. We offer a corporate gym membership discount, and a generous health spending account.
You spend a lot of time at work, and we want you to have fun doing it. Everybody enjoys our “bagel Wednesdays” and our monthly birthday and anniversary celebrations. We organize monthly pub quizzes, fun events like our Summer Olympics and Ugly Christmas Sweater contest, and make sure we do something special to celebrate success.