IDEO.org’s Business Designers are a part of multi-disciplinary design teams, blending business strategy and creativity— helping our partners across the developing world bring new offerings and ventures to market. With frequent trips that will take you throughout Africa, you’ll be part design researcher, part strategist, and part operational guru, working alongside other builders and thinkers from different backgrounds on a team working to solve some of the continent's toughest problems.
Business acumen is a given. Ability to execute is a must. Demonstrated passion for solving challenges facing the world’s most impoverished communities is absolutely critical.
- Work with organizations across Africa to design new products, services and consumer experiences that address a variety of poverty-related challenges.
- Guide partners through the implementation process and steward solutions to market by developing strategies, timelines, and financial models that appropriately reflect our partners’ organizational constraints and aspirations, while delivering on the needs of the end-user.
- Help partners identify and develop new growth options for their existing programs.
- Ensure new offerings and ventures introduced by our partners are created with an eye towards concrete plans for scale.
- Create compelling new value propositions for partners.
- Design organizational structures and strategic assets to help our partners drive their own innovation.
- Design, lead, and measure experiments to gather feedback and make concepts better.
- Contribute to the culture of IDEO.org.
- An absolute professional who leads by example, treats peers and partners with respect, and seeks and gives constructive feedback.
- Experienced in business model design, analysis, and implementation, with a Master’s degree in business and / or 5+ years of industry experience with world-class knowledge in one or two of these areas: Marketing (Product or Brand), Product Development, Organizational Behavior, Operations, Finance.
- Able to combine human stories and needs with hard data to identify a compelling path forward for product, service and venture creation.
- Effective at working in multidisciplinary teams and communicating business concepts to a wide diversity of audiences, including partners and designers from other disciplines.
- Able to switch seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork.
- Able to work in diverse work cultures and comfortable with non-hierarchical organizations.