IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, gender equity, education, and agriculture.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for a Design Lead to join our New York studio. As part of a multi-disciplinary design team, you’ll tackle complex, poverty-related challenges alongside other builders and thinkers from different backgrounds. With frequent trips that will take you to Africa, South Asia, and the Middle East, you’ll lead a team of designers focused on turning human insights into tangible products, services, and consumer experiences, and help our partner organizations carry those designs forward.
As a Design Lead, you’ll frame challenges and set the course for compelling solutions that deliver tangible impact across a wide range of issues like youth employment, agriculture, health and disability. Leadership experience is a must. Interest in social justice is a given. Passion for craft is absolutely critical.
- A natural collaborator and a proven leader. You’re at ease with multidisciplinary teams and can set strategic direction across interaction, product, space and service design.
- A believer that great design creates impact, both in it’s ability to deliver needed solutions and delight through unexpected details.
- Skilled at turning human insights into concrete design concepts.
- Solution-focused and medium-agnostic, willing to step out of your core skill set or discipline to find the correct solution to a challenge.
- A systems thinker, and can logically visualize complex systems.
- Able to distinguish between “good” and “great” work, and clearly articulate the difference.
- Knowledgeable about how to support other disciplines in their work and champion their success.
- Able to articulate the value of human-centered design through verbal and visual presentation.
- Cool with trial and error, and have experience prototyping and experimenting at different levels of fidelity.
- A designer at your core, and see bringing products and services to market as an important part of your process.
- Willing and able to travel internationally ~30% of the time.
- A background in one or more traditional design disciplines (interaction, visual communications, or service design preferred), with 6-8 years of work experience, ideally with some innovation consulting experience.
- Fluency in the human-centered design process, from qualitative research and synthesis to ideation, prototyping, and implementation.
- Examples of your work creating impact out in the world.
- A credible portfolio with examples of digital products, services and systems that you helped create.
- Experience designing digital and physical experiences a huge plus.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Insatiable curiosity and a passion for experimentation.
- Experience managing clients and partners—from early stage companies to mature organizations.
- Experience creating quick and dirty prototypes as well as more refined deliverables.
- Fluency with visual design tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Invision, etc.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in tackling poverty-related challenges.
- Cultural sensitivity, and an ability to connect easily with new people.