Who is IDEO.org?
IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just and inclusive world. From our offices in the U.S. and Kenya, we partner with organizations working to advance health equity, economic opportunity, and wellbeing in communities around the world, co-creating products, services, campaigns, and programs that improve people’s lives.
From campaigns that helped millions access public health information, to services that catalyzed deep change in communities, these interventions have reached over 69 million people. From our studios in New York, San Francisco, and Nairobi, we’ve worked with organizations in 45 countries.
We’re currently looking for an experienced Senior Executive Assistant & Studio Coordinator to join our New York City studio. This person will provide coordination and project management support (i.e. scheduling, event production, mailing, research, writing, editing, etc) to the CEO, COO, and our New York City studio. In this role, you will gain the opportunity to work with our senior leadership team to help advance IDEO.org’s strategic priorities and work on different projects across our organization (i.e. fundraising, marketing, business development, board management, operations, and more). You will report to our Chief of Staff.
In This Role, You Will:
(60%) Support leaders with calendar, coordination, and logistical support:
- Strategically coordinating schedules for senior leadership including arranging travel and logistics, researching and compiling briefs in preparation for meetings and events, compiling perspectives on donor interests and partnerships, preparing presentations for leadership for internal/external audiences, and creating an optimal experience for the leadership team.
- Compiling and sharing weekly briefs and updates to communicate engagements and priorities for each leader.
- Managing monthly expense reporting and submitting travel, phone, and internet reimbursements
- Coordinating global and local studio events (ex. board Meetings, global team meetings, team offsites, inspiration trips, dinners, etc.) including identifying optimal times across three time zones; suggesting content and ideas; researching and identifying event speakers, presentations, locations/venues; scheduling prep calls; managing catering; etc.
- Proactively managing multiple stakeholders, providing a high level of customer service and responsiveness to requests for information, meeting scheduling, and resolution of issues that may arise.
- Supporting other leadership priorities as needed (i.e. fundraising, diversity, equity, and inclusion, strategy sessions, Board management, event production, etc).
(30%) Support NYC studio and operation needs:
- Managing contracts and payments for vendors and contractors hired for NYC studio and/or leadership team needs.
- Managing studio technology needs by creating mechanisms and systems to track, order, and distribute technology for the studio.
- Liaising with building management to ensure smooth studio operations (i.e. coordinating studio events with building management, ensuring visitors have access to the studio, etc).
- Managing day-to-day studio operations including mailing, shipments, visitors, organization and studio hygiene, etc.
(10%) Support community engagement:
- Supporting studio calendar and experience coordination including: conceptualizing and implementing studio experience events, scheduling, booking rooms, and managing logistics of mailings and distribution of event materials.
- Supporting or leading workstreams around internal initiatives or partner-facing events. For example:
- Engaging with ongoing internal Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives
- Helping organize one of our bi-annual Studio Home Weeks
- Organizing an inspiring partner event on Designing for Women
- Contributing to studio management with support and direction from studio leadership to create a welcoming, healthy and fun studio environment for our staff in the NYC studio.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You bring at least 2-3 years of professional experience as an executive assistant or similar role with responsibilities that include coordination, event production, booking and managing travel, expense reporting, facilities management, operations, administrative support, and project management.
- You’re proactive and organized, and are able to prioritize, manage, and resolve multiple and sometimes competing tasks and projects.
- You have excellent attention to detail and are able to execute tasks thoughtfully and thoroughly.
- You’re comfortable working independently and know when to ask for help and/or bring in other team members to collaborate.
- You enjoy creating structure, but can remain flexible to changes or shifting priorities in order to create a better experience for everyone.
- You enjoy planning ahead and can help leaders anticipate and prepare for upcoming projects and priorities.
- You lead with humanity and generosity. Your intent with all your work is to create a positive impact—for a client, a partner, a teammate, and beyond.
- You’re able to work and communicate effectively with a variety of collaborators, including senior level executives, external partners, and Board members.
- You enjoy collaborating with teammates of diverse talents, skills, departments, and levels.
- You’re comfortable appropriately handling highly confidential and sensitive information.
- You’re excited about the role design can play in solving some of the world’s most complex social challenges—like reproductive health access, refugee rights, and criminal justice reform.
- Experience working with Slack, Google Suite, Expensify, Airtable, and Navan is ideal.
- Experience coordinating busy executive calendars including booking and managing travel, large meetings, offsites, and team celebrations is ideal.
IDEO.org values pay transparency to enable jobseekers to make informed and empowered choices with their time and effort. The salary range associated with a Sr. Leadership & Studio Coordinator is $70,000 - $75,000, with participation in our benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 4% 401k match, technology stipend, caregiver stipend, professional development stipend 6 weeks a year of paid vacation, 15 paid holidays a year, and a 5-week paid Sabbatical after 5 years of service.
Wondering where you might land within this range? The exact salary for a role will ultimately depend on many factors, including; peer data within our organization, level of specialization required in the role, a candidate’s level of direct and relevant experience, among others. During your interview process, your Recruiter will discuss level and salary with you, to help you better understand how we make equitable pay and level decisions at IDEO.org.
The When & Where
IDEO.org works with colleagues across the US and Nairobi, Kenya. To accommodate collaboration across time zones, we’re looking for someone who can be based in New York City, working from our NYC studio ~3 days/week, generally holding EST working hours, with some flexibility for early mornings to enable collaboration with Nairobi teammates. IDEO.org will provide a relocation stipend to relocate to NYC for the role.
The Application Requirements
If you see yourself and your skillset in any of the above, please apply. Studies tell us that the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can prevent women and people of color from applying unless they meet every single qualification. Your experience doesn’t perfectly match the job description? Apply anyway. You just might be a great candidate for this role or others.
Curious about sponsorship for US roles? IDEO.org is generally able to sponsor non-immigrant Visa types, including new Visa petitions, Visa extensions, and Visa transfers. However, IDEO.org does not financially sponsor PERM-based Green Cards for those seeking US permanent residence.
In order to be considered for the role, please submit a resume and a cover letter sharing more about your interest in IDEO.org and in the role. We'll be reviewing applications on a rolling basis in May. Please submit an application by Wednesday, May 31, 2023. We look forward to learning more about you!
What You Can Expect from Us
- A diverse and multidisciplinary team that is passionate about advancing our mission to design a more just and inclusive world. Over 70% of IDEO.org’s global staff identify as people of color and over 75% identify as women
- A community of creative thought partners across San Francisco, New York, and Nairobi
- A team of collaborators focused on advancing the practices of co-design and designing for equity
- A talent team committed to supporting the development of our community
- A culture of regular learning and inspiration to collectively develop ourselves and our work
Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, our mission is to design a more just and inclusive world, and that means centering equity, justice, and belonging in everything we do. We strive to bring together diverse perspectives and lived experiences to create a culture where joy, care, and full self-expression can thrive. This means creating conditions for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief can thrive. This includes our employees, candidates, and the partners and communities we work with. We hold ourselves accountable to providing equitable access to resources and disrupting systems of oppression both within our organization and among the communities we serve.
This includes the following commitments:
- Fostering unconditional belonging for all staff
- Evolving processes and practices to shift power
- Translating our values around equity and justice into structural and operational change
- Engaging in continuous and collective reckoning on an ongoing basis