IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, gender equity, education, and agriculture.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for an experienced Program Director to lead our Amplify program in New York City. The Amplify program is a partnership with the UK Department for International Development that supports social entrepreneurs from Asia, the Middle East, and Africa to test and pilot new products and services that improve the lives of the poor.
Part relationship manager, part strategist, and part air traffic controller, you’ll lead a multidisciplinary team of designers, project managers, and implementation gurus through the process of finding, funding, and supporting a broad portfolio of organizations across the developing world. You’ll also collaborate with the IDEO.org leadership team to determine a vision and strategy for the future of the Amplify program.
- Act as the primary point of contact for the UK Department of International Development and other Amplify funding partners, providing updates and stewarding their engagement with the program.
- Have a 30,000ft view on the Amplify program: setting strategic direction and goals, foreseeing challenges to implementation, and actively seeking out strategies and resources to reduce risk.
- Coach and unlock potential in the Amplify team: investing in understanding the team’s individual aspirations and supporting their development.
- Lead a collaborative process to shape and build partnerships to support the future (post-2019) vision for the Amplify program.
- Represent IDEO.org and the Amplify program externally, helping to grow the program’s network and influence.
- Own the amplify budget and manage key activities against it, ensuring the program’s near- and long-term health
- Work with the IDEO.org Communications team to tell stories about Amplify design work and delivers those stories in an effective and compelling manner.
- Contribute to IDEO.org’s design-driven culture, champion our values of collaboration, learning from failure, and making other successful.
- A seasoned leader in the international development space, with 8+ years of experience managing complex partnerships and/or programs and depth of expertise in at least two relevant issue areas (e.g., water and sanitation, women and girls, agriculture, etc.).
- An approachable and dedicated coach and mentor, capable of helping individual team members meet diverse personal growth goals; you have experience managing creative teams of five or more people working on different streams of work.
- A program lead who has worked with creatives like designers, and appreciates the human centered design process.
- A guide and adviser who can can engage executive level partners to build their support and evolve their points-of-view.
- A systems thinker, who toggles seamlessly between big-picture strategic conversations and rolling up your sleeves to get things done.
- A collaborator by nature, able to bring out the best in your teammates and willing to be challenged by them in return.
- Excited to deploy human-centered design against the challenges of poverty.
- A communicator and connector who shares information fluidly and facilitates dialogue.
- Willing and able to travel internationally ~20% of the time.