IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just and equitable world. We partner with nonprofit organizations, foundations, governments, and communities to design programs, products, and services focused on improving health, economic mobility, and wellbeing.
We are hiring a Director of Finance and Administration in our San Francisco or New York studio. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), you will lead the company’s finance function, ensuring IDEO.org has a long-term financial strategy, and highly effective and accurate accounting and reporting. You will also supervise key operations functions including compliance and technology.
- Build a multi-year financial plan and underlying business model that supports the organization’s priorities and enhances long-term sustainability.
- Drive annual budgeting to ensure effective planning and a budget that reflects IDEO.org’s strategic priorities.
- Facilitate discussions with the senior leadership team and board of directors including the board finance committee meetings to source input, receive approvals, and answer questions about IDEO.org’s business and financial strategy.
- Work closely with our partnerships team to help develop revenue targets, understand the health of our pipeline, and analyse upcoming risks and opportunities for our business
- Partner with our Nairobi based team to help identify risks and opportunities related to both finance and compliance.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure IDEO.org has the business systems and processes in place (formal and informal) to efficiently and effectively manage the organization’s network, finances, pipeline, and human capital.
- Sleuth out compliance risks from federal laws to contract negotiations and create strategies for mitigating them; ensure IDEO.org has adequate insurance coverage in place.
- Lead the accounting team, ensuring there are appropriate structures and strong management in place across all aspects of the accounting function (monthly close, AR/AP, payroll, procurements, etc.) and administration function (contract review and management, reporting, etc.).
- Manage the performance and growth of Finance team members.
- Perform additional related responsibilities as assigned by Business Lead.
- An experienced leader with 10 years in non-profit finance or accounting role and at least five years of experience leading staff.
- An absolute professional who leads by example, treats people with respect regardless of role, and seeks and gives constructive feedback.
- Deeply knowledgeable and insightful about finance, accounting, and administration.
- Experienced in the development of accurate, timely, and useful financial reports.
- Able to identify and employ appropriate technology across the responsibilities of the position; experienced with using financial software programs, preferably Sage Intacct.
- An excellent communicator (in speaking, writing, and listening).
- Effective working and building trust in multidisciplinary teams.
- Able to switch seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork.
- Excited about the opportunity to get your hands dirty in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Highly organized with impeccable attention to detail.
- Eager to be an engaged member in a creative community.
- Able to handle multiple projects/requests, prioritize and delegate effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Specially trained with a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Passionate about fighting poverty and inequality.
Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization and in the world. Our mission to design a more just and inclusive world is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, and the partners and communities we work with.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.