IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just and equitable world. We partner with nonprofit organizations, foundations, and governments to design programs, products, and services focused on improving health, economic mobility, and wellbeing.
We are currently in search of a Program Manager for an exciting program focused on accelerating progress towards gender equality by addressing the most sticky challenges around integrating gender (gender mainstreaming) within global development systems. We do this by nurturing an intimate collective of gender practitioners drawn from major donors and multilateral institutions. Together, the members collaborate across organizational silos, drive new ways of working, and build an emboldening blueprint to boost their collective impact.
IDEO.org hosts the Collective together with a gender consultancy firm. Through a thoughtfully facilitated process that combines design thinking, innovation and gender strategies, we work with the members and catalysts over a period of two years to generate tools, prototypes and shareable lessons on key challenges in Gender Mainstreaming.
The Program Manager is the person that will keep the program running smoothly day-to-day. The program started in Q4 2020, so the vision and strategy have been largely defined, the initial set of members have been identified and the first collective meetings have taken place. You will be coming in as the right hand to the Program Director to further strengthen and roll out the program. Your responsibilities will include liaising with the members, overseeing program operations and logistics, shaping and supporting design sprints, co-facilitating the monthly gathering and contributing to strategic decisions we make to achieve the gender goals we set for this program.
This role is a full-time, temporary position till November 2022, and will be located in either New York or Nairobi.
Our ideal candidate is a multi-tasker with a passion for gender equality. You are organized, proactive, a natural community builder, and able to balance strategic thinking with the details of execution. You have experience in project management, international development, design and innovation, organizational/systems change and/or community management. You love bringing people together to find a common purpose. You can build relationships through a Zoom screen or other remote channels.
Project and Program Coordination (30%)
- Contribute to design of the program - setting agenda for the monthly gatherings, identify and bring in external catalysts, co-facilitate, take care of logistics and follow-up
- Manage the program calendar—keeping the extended team and our partners aligned on key milestones and deliverables
- Support design project leads and the Program Director with administrative tasks and overall project management, such as scheduling meetings, hiring contractors, and preparing for meetings with our partners and funders
- Manage day-to-day operations of program, i.e. contracts, agreements, applications, filings, etc.
Relationship and Community management (30%)
- Build and help support relationships with members – gender experts from major donor institutions and bi-/multilateral organizations
- Build and help manage relationships with key partners, including catalysts, prospective members, and the partner funding the program
- Develop and manage a communication cadence to keep all members and collaborators in the loop
- Provide and manage a platform where members can collaborate and stay in touch
- Provide input into strategic discussions around challenges, opportunities and choices the collective is making around its gender goals
- Show up as a thought partner to the Program Director, gender consultants and members of the collective
- Contribute to building IDEO.org’s body of knowledge around gender.
- Capturing key learnings and working with the communications team to support external storytelling about the work
- 2-4 years of experience in project management or coordination, ideally in one of the following fields: global development, design and innovation, community management
- 2+ years of experience in gender equality for global development
- Demonstrated skills in relationship building and collaboration
- Experience managing administrative and operational tasks
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with people and organizations across time zones
- Interest in design and creative problem-solving
- Ability to thrive in a highly energetic environment
- A commitment to social justice
- US work authorization