IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just and equitable world.
We partner with nonprofit organizations, foundations, governments, and communities to design programs, products, and services focused on improving health, economic mobility, and wellbeing.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for a proactive, detail-oriented person to support the Global Portfolio Team. The team drives a portfolio of multi-country programs that address systemic inequality for women by building pathways to employment, shifting gender norms, and investing in her agency.
As part of a dynamic and multi-disciplinary design studio, you’ll provide administrative and operational support to the team, composed of a Managing Director, Partnerships Director and Program Leads. We’re looking for a highly organized, collaborative and creative person who enjoys bringing clarity to chaos and has an appetite for learning on your feet in a fast-paced environment. This position is a great fit for someone earlier in their career who is passionate about design, and its potential to address barriers to gender equality, prosperity and wellbeing for communities around the world.
Once we are cleared to return to our studios (expected Sept/Oct 2021) the role will be based in San Francisco.
What you’ll do
Overall Portfolio Team Coordination
- Oversee knowledge management for the portfolio team, including file management, creating and maintaining internal systems, tracking potential opportunities, and sharing information, tools and resources with relevant team members.
- Take the lead on coordinating team meetings, cross-sharing moments and team celebrations
- Manage day-to-day coordination and logistics for our Portfolio Teams, anticipating needs and keeping our team running smoothly
- Create and maintain internal systems that allow the team to work and share knowledge efficiently, and collaborate with teams across the organization to improve existing systems
- Connect the dots across projects within our portfolio and beyond, by contributing to our Theory of Change, following trends and developments in our sector
- Ensure compliance by monitoring reporting requirements, submitting narrative and financial reports on time, in collaboration with IDEO.org’s finance and operations team.
- Support with calendaring to meet internal and external partner needs.
- Support with travel logistics, by researching travel itineraries, hotels, proactively monitoring health/safety challenges and planning around constraints.
- Engage with external partners by proactively nurturing relationships, identifying opportunities for collaboration, providing timely and informative communication.
- Support with scoping of work, proposal writing, developing Memoranda of Understanding and other activities to formalize partnerships.
Project and Program Coordination
- Provide support to project teams with project-related tasks, such as desk research, identifying and scheduling expert interviews, managing relationships with contractors, and preparing for partner meetings.
- Oversee design research operations, including working with partners to recruit interview participants, set participants up for success, secure consent forms, issue compensation and manage participants’ experience.
- Provide support with event planning, such as thinking through the participant experience, managing invitations,
- Support project leads with administrative tasks and overall project management.
Special Initiatives / Other
- Support or lead workstreams around internal initiatives or partner-facing events. For example:
- Engage with ongoing internal Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives
- Help organize one of our bi-annual Studio Home Weeks
- Organize an inspiring partner event on Designing for Women
- Contribute to studio management to create a welcoming, healthy and fun studio environment for our staff in San Francisco
Who you are
You love working in a fast-paced start-up environment and are adept at wearing many hats at any given moment. You’re a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative—ready to roll up your sleeves and join a team that’s helping to bring human-centered design to some of the world’s toughest challenges. You are used to working in virtual teams that span different time zones. You’re:
- A self-starter with 2-4 years of relevant work experience in project management, administration, or a related field
- A time and project management guru, capable of balancing multiple priorities at once
- A great writer, capable of producing clear and engaging communications for a variety of audiences, ranging from concise e-mails to sections of a proposal document
- Service-oriented, with a knack for bringing out the best in others
- An optimistic team player who navigates cross-cultural dynamics with ease
- Someone with strong administrative and computer skills (familiarity with the Google Suite, Salesforce and Slack is a plus)
- Passionate about global poverty alleviation, and excited about the role that that design can play in creating new solutions
- If you speak any South Asian language (e.g. Hindi, Bangla, Urdu, Tamil), that’s a huge plus!
- Must have a US work permit
This position will be 100% remote until we are cleared to return to our studios. You are then expected to work from IDEO.org’s studio in San Francisco.
IDEO.org Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization and in the world. Our mission to design a more just and inclusive world is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, and the partners and communities we work with.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.