IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just and equitable world. We partner with nonprofit organizations, foundations, and governments to design programs, products, and services focused on improving health, economic mobility, and wellbeing.
We’re currently looking for an Interaction Design Lead to join our New York studio. As part of a multi-disciplinary design team, you’ll work hand-in-hand with our partner organizations and the communities they serve across the U.S. and around the world—identifying opportunities for design, imagining new possibilities, and bringing those ideas to life through engaging digital experiences.
Our ideal candidate has experience in the full life cycle of digital design—from concept to prototyping to execution, and a healthy dose of curiosity. Part researcher, part strategist, and part maker, in this role you might be sketching wireframes for a new digital service one day, hosting a co-design workshop the next, and wrapping up the week building scrappy digital prototypes to test in the real world.
You may have built your career as a UX designer, creative coder, digital media artist, or software designer, but by now you’re comfortable flexing your skills in a number of ways, and leading teams through the design process.
Inspire great design (and get your hands dirty)
- Create digital solutions that address a range of challenges, translating user needs and real world constraint into elegant, effective digital experiences
- Create prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help determine design direction for a project.
- Construct information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics, and visual design that bring new ideas to life
- Champion design excellence within the realm of digital design—illuminating the difference between “good” and “great” work, and helping teams get there
- Bring interaction and digital inspiration into the organization, inspiring peers and partner organizations to imagine new possibilities
- Be solution-focused and medium-agnostic, willing to step out of your core skill set or discipline to find the correct solution to a challenge.
Lead design projects
- Lead multidisciplinary teams through the design process—from research and prototyping through execution and implementation
- Instill confidence in the design process among our partner organizations, and ensure they are equipped to steward the solutions we design to market
- Co-design measurement, learning, and optimization strategies with partners that will enable them to optimize solutions for long-term success
Support and mentor others
- Flex your collaboration skills—working with designers of all disciplines on projects
- Support designers to infuse their passions into projects and learn new skills.
- Be collaborative and contribute to healthy team motivation and morale, offering emotional and logistical support.
- Contribute to IDEO.org studio culture.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a design consultancy, agency, or other environment where you’ve worked on multidisciplinary design teams
- Fluency in a solid set of UX/UI tools, including FIgma, Invision, and Adobe Suite, and the ability to convey concepts through wireframes, flows, storyboards, and mockups
- A diverse portfolio showing a passion for experimentation in different mediums.
- Experience working at the intersection of social innovation, business and interaction design
- A passion for what design and innovation can do to improve the lives of real people
- Experience managing client or partner relationships
- Adept at synthesizing data, distilling complexity, and storytelling.
- Fluency in the human-centered design process from qualitative research and synthesis to ideation, prototyping, and implementation.
- Willing and able to travel internationally ~30% of the time (once we’ve determined as a community that it’s safe to travel again).
- Cultural sensitivity, creativity, and resourcefulness
- A thoughtful, yet playful approach to leading creative process and teams.
- Spanish language fluency a plus.
Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization and in the world. Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients and customers we serve, and the communities we co-create with.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.